PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading splitter& guard on PM 68

Monte Milanuk
06-13-2011, 2:09 PM
Hello all,

Where I work they have a big 12" PM 68 480v 3ph 5-hp cabinet saw in the shop area, mostly used for making custom shipping containers for sending large/heavy machinery items off for repairs, as well as creating custom framing for work support inside the plant.

The existing blade guard and splitter, to be frank, suck. A pain to remove, a pain to install and align, and as a result, frequently *not* installed. I've been trying to get them to go for a newer saw with a riving knife and a better designed guard (possibly a Sawstop), but they ain't going for it. Part of the mount for the old splitter is cast iron and has a pretty good crack started in it, so I'm guessing its going to need replaced sooner rather than later. Management is open to the idea of a new (better designed) splitter and blade guard, so I'm looking for options.

Is there some way to retrofit a quick-disconnect (Biesemeyer) splitter mount to this saw?

What would be your recommendation for an aftermarket blade guard that mounts to the saw?

What would be your recommendation for an aftermarket over-arm blade guard?

TIA,

Monte

David Hostetler
06-13-2011, 2:13 PM
Monte, get a hold of Lee Styron, and see if one of his Shark Guards will fit your bill... You will want that cracked cast iron mount fixed ASAP, but as far as splitters / guards go, the Shark is probably the best overall guard on the market.

Monte Milanuk
06-13-2011, 3:30 PM
I've got one of Lee's Shark Guards on my BT3100 at home... works well and I like it a lot.

I went back and checked... the saw is a PM *68*, not a 66. It doesn't look like Lee lists a SharkGuard model for the 68... but I may ask and see what one would cost if available.