PDA

View Full Version : Shark fishing

Mike Cruz
06-13-2011, 1:51 PM
Well, took off for a day of shark fishing from Chincoteague, VA on Saturday. Actually, left my house just before midnight on Friday, got down there just after 4 am, was on the boat by 5:30, lines in the water by 8 am or so.

Long story short, while the shark lines were out, we used spin casters to catch some Dorado/Dolphin/Ma hi-ma hi (whatever you want to them...everyone call 'em something different). I caught two, we ended up with three.

We caught four sharks. A Dusky, a Spinner, and two Tigers. The first Tiger was 300 lbs. You can't keep them, and they aren't good eating anyway, so why would you? Anyway, as I reeled him to the boat, I asked my buddy (who owns this boat...a 31 foot Alberta with twin diesels...SWEET BOAT) if he wanted to tag it. That of course meant letting it run back out and bringing it back in...He had no problem as long as I was good with it. So, I let him run back out, my buddy got the tag ready, I brought him back in, and our third guy didn't stab the shark hard enough to set the tag...just hard enough to make him mad, so he ran again. Now, I had to bring this monster in for a third time. Got him up to the boat, he got tagged, we cut the leader, and off he swam. Aha, that's fishing'.

About an hour later, one of the shark lines goes out again. My turn again. Anther Tiger shark. This ones a big brother to the last one. About 7-7 1/2 feet long. In the 500-600 lb range. My biggest fish ever. Got him to the boat, and before my buddy could cut the leader, the beast took off. Well, you know what that means...bring him back in. My buddy asked if he could have some fun. I passed the rod and let him have some fun. When he finally got up to the boat again, I got to grab the leader this time...and got a good look at him. Woo, that was massive. Over 7 feet long and if I had tried to put my arms around him, I wouldn't have been able to touch my fingers on the other side. (I'm 6' 1" 200 lbs.)

Here are some pics. Two of our Ma hi-ma hi, one of the 300 pounder, one of me fighting the 500+ pounder, and the best pic we got of the 500 pounder. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough hands to be fumbling much with a camera on the biggie...

Oh, did I mention that I didn't get to sleep since 7 am Friday morning? Yeah, I was a tired pup.

Bruce Volden
06-13-2011, 2:11 PM
Well Mike, that looks like a lot of fun!!!! I was contemplating salmon shark fishing one of the times I was in Alaska, I didn't 'cuz I was pretty tuckered out by the halibut, and we got to eat those. Another thing, we had to keep our clothes on, a little on the chilly side when the water temp is only in the mid to upper 40's!!

Bruce

Mike Cruz
06-13-2011, 2:34 PM
Maybe I should have pointed out that I am the one WITH my shirt on. :)

Joe Angrisani
06-13-2011, 2:45 PM
Just curious... The tigers were left with hooks in their mouths and a metal leader trailing out?

Sean Troy
06-13-2011, 3:19 PM
Just curious... The tigers were left with hooks in their mouths and a metal leader trailing out?
Would you want to take the hook out? :) Actually, they fall out naturally with in a week with no harm to the fish.

Jeff Monson
06-13-2011, 3:24 PM
Sweet, I'd love to do some salt water fishing. I can't imagine having a 500lb fish on. The mahi are good eating correct? Looks like you had a great day of fishing. We caught a limit of walleyes, a few white bass and a few pike over the weekend....no sharks though.

Mike Cruz
06-13-2011, 5:14 PM
Yeah, Joe, Sean is correct. Even in fresh water, you'd be surprised how fast the hooks that are left in a fish will rust and fall out. In salt water, that metal doesn't stand a chance. Sean is also right about not really wanting to "lip" the shark and get the hook out. ;)

Jeff, OH YEAH the Mahi-mahi are good eatin'. Actually, they are awesome eating! There were three of us, and we caught three Mahi-mahi, so we each got to take two fillets home. Each fillet is enough to feed four people... Guess what will be on the grill for Father's Day. :) Hey, sounds like you got a nice haul, too!

Jay Jolliffe
06-13-2011, 8:00 PM
Where I use to live they did a shark tournament sometime in the summer. It was no catch & release. A lot of dead sharks came in to be weighed & the ones that weren't wanted or weren't edible went to the land fill. Such a waste :mad:

Dan Hintz
06-14-2011, 7:07 AM
Yeah, had I thought about it, I would have stolen that cooler out of your truck before you left for home ;)

Mike Cruz
06-14-2011, 7:33 AM
Yeah, Jay, those tournaments can be kinda visually brutal. Might be why Tigers can no longer be kept. They aren't good eating, so they are a waste to bring in. Beautiful creatures, those Tiger sharks. Glad they got to swim away.

Joe Angrisani
06-14-2011, 8:12 AM
Sean and Mike.... NO, I don't want to take the hook out, either. Thanks for the clarification on what happens "after the fact". One of the scariest things I've ever seen was a Tiger while snorkeling off Rum Cay in the Bahamas. Even 100'-150' away in the blue haze, it was a very different vibe from seeing the usual Nurse while snorkeling or Reef Shark while diving.

Mike Cruz
06-14-2011, 9:16 AM
Joe, there is nothing NOT scary about seeing a Nurse shark while snorkeiing! Been there done that...scary...even if you know that it isn't an aggressive shark. Seeing a Tiger shark while I'M in the water would certainly make me soil myself. Heck, maybe that would be enough to discourage it from making a meal out of me! :D

We were actually after Mako shark. They are a very close relative of the Great White. Look just like 'em, too...but a little smaller. I've caught a couple with my buddy on previous excursions. Largest Mako I've caught was 180 lbs. I had a pair of boots made of the first one I caught. ;) And no, we didn't kill it for the hide, Mako are great eating. The hide would have been thrown away.

Joe Angrisani
06-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Mako....yummy!!!

Donny Lawson
06-15-2011, 6:30 AM
Looks like you had a blast. That's something I've never done is deep sea fishing but it does look like fun.

Mike Cruz
06-15-2011, 7:20 AM
Donny, it is a blast. One down side is that since we go 30-60 miles off shore, and we travel at about 25 mph, it takes a while to get out there. So, once you are there, you are in a way, stuck. If you get sea sick, or just tired of the boat rocking, or tired of the sun beating down on you, or whatever...you are there until the day is done. Sometimes we go out and the seas are like glass. Sometimes we go out and the swells are 6+ feet high. And when the swells are short, meaning not much distance between them, it can get kinda tedious, relentless, and annoying. I went on an overnight trip with this guy once and through the entire night, with each wave, the side of the boat would dip just about into the water...wave after wave, all night long. But that trip, we caught yellow fin tuna, big eye tuna, mahi-mahi, and a swordfish. Very productive, very memorable. You just have to be up to whatever the seas throw at you.

Joe Angrisani
06-15-2011, 8:35 AM
.....One down side is that since we go 30-60 miles off shore, and we travel at about 25 mph, it takes a while to get out there. So, once you are there, you are in a way, stuck....

Try sailing! :)

Turn your 25mph into 6mph, and your opinion of "takes a while" will change, big time. There's been a few times over the years where we were bashing back to Florida from Walker's Cay or Bimini, and the sportfishers just go zooming by. It gets you a little down knowing they'll be in a warm shower in two hours, and we've got 10-12 hours to go no matter how hard you wish it were shorter.

Mike Cruz
06-15-2011, 9:01 AM
Probably why I don't sail... ;) :D