PDA

View Full Version : Air Nozzle Proximity

Richard Jones
06-13-2011, 9:12 AM
Wonder how others are dealing with this. Used to use a coiled hose hung from the ceiling, but the hose doesn't seem to retain it's memory very long and after a while would hang too close to the handweel. So, back to the old method of just hanging the nozzle on the belt tensioning handle on my 1642. Am thinking about a spring system, like a screen door spring, hooked into the ceiling joist (mine are exposed). This set up also needs to be able to get freed up easily for operator clean up at the end of a session.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Any thoughts? Pics?

Thanks, have a good day.

Rich

charlie knighton
06-13-2011, 9:30 AM
only thought across the room with enought hose to reach lathe, etc

we use to have air hoses on floor of knitting room, you would have to blow off machine, walking around it , hose would get around bottom while machine runs in circle, never saw one turn machine over but it happens fast and violent

Michael Mills
06-13-2011, 12:37 PM
My air hose is mounted on a reel above my compressor but for a fairly inexpensive type maybe something like this to hang from the ceiling? There should be lots of retactable reels available.
http://www.amazon.com/LONG-HOSE-REEL-ADAPTER-AIRBRUSH/dp/B002A2ZSNA/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1307982250&sr=8-12
You can probably rig something up (the spring part will be the most difficult I would think) for a lot less.
I have a retractable electric plug above one end of my workbench made from a vacuum cleaner cord reel.

Richard Jones
06-13-2011, 4:10 PM
Yep, I've seen some of the retractable ones, was just trying something more low tech for now.

Thanks, I may try that reel. The retractable electric one I have has done very well for quite a few years.

Rich

Dick Wilson
06-13-2011, 4:23 PM
Richard, The only time I use an air hose is while doing hollow forms. I just drape the hose over one of the steady rest arms. Handy, out of the way, and most importantly not close to spinning parts.

Roger Chandler
06-13-2011, 4:33 PM
I also use a coiled air hose and hang it from the belt tensioning handle on my griz 18/47.

my compressor is on the floor underneath a work bench which is near the headstock end of my lathe..........works great, and the hose is always there when I need it for turning, hooking up my Holdfast vacuum system, or blowing dust off my chuck or lathe.....

no problems!

Greg Bolton22
06-15-2011, 8:34 AM
Retractable dog leash? Too simple? Just thinking out loud.

Greg

Gary Max
06-15-2011, 8:37 AM
Heck I kinda like my $20.00 Ace Hardware leaf blower. It moves more air.

David E Keller
06-15-2011, 9:04 PM
I just have a hose crossing the shop, and I hook it on the handle of my banjo... I often sit on the ways or at least straddle the ways when hollowing, so the air hose is within easy reach if it's hooked on the banjo.

Mark Hix
06-16-2011, 9:23 PM
I just hook mine to the end of the ways.