PDA

View Full Version : Kwanzan cherry

Fred Perreault
06-13-2011, 7:57 AM
Has any of the Creekers had experience turning kwanzan cherry? It is an ornamental in our parts, and I was offered a bunch of it, mostly 12"-18". I cut it into blanks and sealed it with Anchorseal. I don't have pics because when I chucked the blanks onto my chaotic pile of other drying blanks, there was a rumble of great magnitute and the newer cherry was buried under an avalanche of oak, walnut, locust, maple and other cherry. I barely escaped alive.....;) :) :o

James Combs
06-13-2011, 8:02 AM
Has any of the Creekers had experience turning kwanzan cherry? It is an ornamental in our parts, and I was offered a bunch of it, mostly 12"-18". I cut it into blanks and sealed it with Anchorseal. I don't have pics because when I chucked the blanks onto my chaotic pile of other drying blanks, there was a rumble of great magnitute and the newer cherry was buried under an avalanche of oak, walnut, locust, maple and other cherry. I barely escaped alive.....;) :) :o

Can't help you with your question on the cherry wood attributes but your quantity of wood kind of sounds like some of the rest of us. I haven't had any avalanches yet but I have resorted to stashing it under my house in the crawl space. Have to feed my termites you know.:eek:

John Keeton
06-13-2011, 8:12 AM
Fred, having seen previous pics of your woodpile, I can only imagine what it looks like now! Most of us don't have to use a frontloader to get to another piece of wood we want to turn!!

No help on the Kwanzan cherry. I do recall some posts that indicate it not to be as desirable as Black Cherry.