PDA

View Full Version : Cottonwood HF

Kathy Marshall
06-13-2011, 1:13 AM
I was walking through the woodpile, looking for something to turn when I spied a medium sized cottonwood log. The ends had some pretty bad checking and I could see there was some rot on one end but I went ahead and got out the chainsaw and trimmed off the ends.

Roughed it to a cylinder and saw that there was alot going on color and grain wise. Forced myself to rough it into a different shape than usual (not much different, but a little different). There was a lot of punky areas, the wood was soft and of course there was a rotten spot. Even with sharp tools there was alot of tearout and sanding was an ordeal because the wood was so soft. With alot of sanding with the grain with the lathe stopped, I was able to get a nice surface.
Doused with BLO (the punky areas soaked it up like there was no tomorrow) and will probably add some base coats of shellac before adding WOP. It's about 8" x 4" and walls about 1/8".
I think I did ok with the curves, but I think may have somewhat of a flat spot just below the midsection and I think I should have curved the top more.

Thanks for looking!
As always comments and critiques are welcome.

charlie knighton
06-13-2011, 3:32 AM
very nice, nice figure

Michelle Rich
06-13-2011, 6:33 AM
I like the "new" shape. pretty wood

John Keeton
06-13-2011, 7:01 AM
Kathy, I love the wood, and great technique as always. Not sold on this form, however, but good on you for venturing out an trying something new. There are thousands of possibilities and I am sure many will like this one.

Steve Schlumpf
06-13-2011, 9:35 AM
Interesting form - reminds me of an inverted egg - and is pretty cool just because it is different! Beautiful wood and well worth your effort to bring it to life! Nice work! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

Rob Cunningham
06-13-2011, 9:53 AM
Really nice Kathy. I like the form and the wood has a lot of interesting grain going on.

Bernie Weishapl
06-13-2011, 9:55 AM
Kathy I do like the form and the wood really has a lot going on.

Michael James
06-13-2011, 7:46 PM
Nice piece, with a vase vibe going on. Again (today) what's with everywhere else's cottonwood looking totally cool, and ours... well, not?
mj

Nate Davey
06-13-2011, 8:43 PM
Kathy, that is a gorgeous piece of wood and the shape displays it very well. Nicely done.

Baxter Smith
06-13-2011, 9:58 PM
Pretty wood and a nice shape to show it off!

David E Keller
06-13-2011, 10:24 PM
What a great looking piece, Kathy! With wood that pretty, I think simple shapes are nice. You seem to have a really nice woodpile!

... Again (today) what's with everywhere else's cottonwood looking totally cool, and ours... well, not?
mj

When I offered to send you some wood, you specifically said, "NO COTTONWOOD!". I don't have any as pretty as this, but I've got some nice looking stuff... Could have been yours.