PDA

View Full Version : Cricket Castle!

Scott Hackler
06-13-2011, 12:07 AM
Here is the second little box I have done lately. With this one I wanted to "change up" the shape a bit. I followed the curve of the box up through the finial. 4 1/4" tall and 1 3/4" dia. Walls are really thin, a little less than 3/32". Soaked in BLO and left alone (its a little on the delicate side)! Walnut and African Blackwood.

A home meant for the king of the crickets! :)

Comments and critiques welcome always, thanks for looking.
197840 197839

Steve Schlumpf
06-13-2011, 12:11 AM
You must really like crickets! Quite the little palace there! Nice form and I really like how everything flows together! Very impressive work Scott!

Ed Morgano
06-13-2011, 12:15 AM
Scott,
Where did you find that worm wood? haha. Very nice work - that's beautiful.

Tim Thiebaut
06-13-2011, 12:16 AM
Wow these last 2 are really impressive! So how long did you let this soak in the BLO? By soaking lt like this does it lessen the chance of movement in the wood over time since it is so impregnated into the wood?

Scott Hackler
06-13-2011, 12:27 AM
Wow these last 2 are really impressive! So how long did you let this soak in the BLO? By soaking lt like this does it lessen the chance of movement in the wood over time since it is so impregnated into the wood?

Tim, my soaking is a mess. I was too lazy to go borrow a container from the kitchen so I held the box in my hand and poured the BLO all over it while smearing it in with my finger! I then let it sit for 5 mintues while completely dripping. With a paper towel as a backer, I held the box in my hand and blew it out from the inside to remove the excess BLO (had to get the BLO out of the holes!). Then wiped the rest off and there she be. Its so thin that I am sure I got a great penetration with the BLO and I am hoping that over time the BLO will help harden the walnut.

The next one will be dipped in a container! :)

Thanks

Kathy Marshall
06-13-2011, 12:49 AM
I really like this one Scott! I love the finial and I think it really compliments the piece. Just excellent!

For soaking in oils, I like to use a ziploc bag. It takes much less oil than a hard sided container. Just put the piece in, hold the bagged piece so that the bag is right up against the sides, add enough oil to cover the piece, squeeze out any air, then dig a hole in some sawdust and put the bag in it.

Michelle Rich
06-13-2011, 6:41 AM
excellent piece

John Keeton
06-13-2011, 6:58 AM
Scott, you sure are getting these things dainty! I assume this one is walnut, as well - looks like it. Nice style on this one, and a very interesting finial, too.

I am quite sure I could not do two of these back to back!! Really, I am not sure I could do one of them! The tedious nature of this and my personality clash pretty badly.

James Combs
06-13-2011, 8:11 AM
Sure looks nice, it would certainly make a nice gift and I bet it would sell quickly too.

Scott Hackler
06-13-2011, 10:53 AM
I must have been pretty tired last night. I did forget to note the woods as walnut and african blackwood.

Thanks for the kinds words, everyone. I actually turned, pierced and finished this one in 2 different sessions this weekend. The thinness really speeds up the whole piercing process, but had me a little worried that I might crush it while holding it!

Bill Bolen
06-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Beautiful piece Scott. You have the patience of a saint.

Harvey Ghesser
06-13-2011, 11:38 AM
beautiful, Scott! I really like thin!

Toney Robertson
06-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Very cool piece.

Outstanding work.

Jim Burr
06-13-2011, 1:17 PM
Crazy work Scott!! You are now the Piercing King!!

Jon Nuckles
06-13-2011, 1:48 PM
Very impressive, Scott. Be careful with all this piercing, or you may enter a branch of the vortex known as the Carpal Tunnel!

Bernie Weishapl
06-13-2011, 1:50 PM
Great looking piece Scott. Definitely takes patience.

Scott Hackler
06-13-2011, 1:51 PM
Very impressive, Scott. Be careful with all this piercing, or you may enter a branch of the vortex known as the Carpal Tunnel!

lol, Im already in Carpal Tunnel Land, but I am too bull headed to make the time to have it fixed. My routine was pierce for 20-30 mintues, hand goes numb, take a 15 minute break and start again!

Thanks for the additional comments everyone.

Tim Rinehart
06-13-2011, 3:43 PM
Nice work Scott...you have a series going here. Will we get to see pics with live crickets inside?

BTW...I'm looking forward to the Woodturning Design August issue...I understand someone we know will be posting some info in an article there.:rolleyes:

Looking forward to that. Wish I had subscribed earlier, great magazine full of well written how-tos. I bought the most recent issue, which had a little tickler about August issue.

Scott Hackler
06-13-2011, 3:55 PM
Nice work Scott...you have a series going here. Will we get to see pics with live crickets inside?

BTW...I'm looking forward to the Woodturning Design August issue...I understand someone we know will be posting some info in an article there.:rolleyes:

Looking forward to that. Wish I had subscribed earlier, great magazine full of well written how-tos. I bought the most recent issue, which had a little tickler about August issue.

Thanks Tim. I have a few of the darn little dudes churping from time to time in the shop and I DID actually think about rangling up one for the picture! I don't know if he would have sit through the photo session though. :)

On the article..... Its a pretty strange deal, in the sense that I wrote the article last year and my skills have progressed a little since then... so that particular turning seems a million miles from what I have been working on as of late. HOWEVER, I am super stoked to be in their magazine and will personally increase their sales by 4-5 extra magazines! :)

Russell Eaton
06-13-2011, 7:09 PM
Very nice Scott. I bought some power carving equipment last week. I just need to get started. I like this on a lot.

Rick Markham
06-13-2011, 8:43 PM
Scott both of these are awesome, this one is my favorite. I've been pondering piercing for quite some time now... no equipment as of yet. What are you using to do your piercing?

They are fantastic! I can't wait to see the article!

Scott Hackler
06-13-2011, 8:57 PM
Scott both of these are awesome, this one is my favorite. I've been pondering piercing for quite some time now... no equipment as of yet. What are you using to do your piercing?

They are fantastic! I can't wait to see the article!

I started out with a dremel and used it a lot for some early Christmas ornaments, but a while back I bought a NSK Presto high speed carver. It spins at 320,000 rpms and uses 1/16" bits. I had initially bought some diamond burs off eBay but they burn the wood really quickly. So I ordered some tapered carbide cutters and they work so much better. Point of concern is to know your pressure level. I inadvertantly gave mine a little over double the max 35 psi and toasted the first turbo cartridge! That cost me $139 to replace. :(

Baxter Smith
06-13-2011, 9:55 PM
Very nicely done. How many holes? I could probably stand to do about 10.:)

David E Keller
06-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Very nice, Scott! I love the box, but it's the finial that holds my attention... Great combo! Super job!

Unsolicited general medical information... The carpal tunnel is at it's largest(read least pressure on the nerve) when the wrist is in a neutral position, and the size of the tunnel decreases when the wrist is flexed or extended. For some people, wearing a small wrist brace that holds the wrist in a neutral position will decrease or eliminate symptoms. FWIW, vibrational tools have been linked to increasing incidence of CTS. Finally, permanent nerve damage can occur with prolonged pressure on any nerve, so ignoring symptoms can lead to permanent functional loss in some cases. YMMV