PDA

View Full Version : Shaper use...

Tony Pearson
04-17-2003, 8:33 PM
In all the reading on this and other forums, I have not seen much information on the ownership and use of shapers......

How useful are they and what is a popular choice?

Thanks......Tony :confused:

Steve Clardy
04-17-2003, 9:13 PM
that I use for shaping raised panels for cabinet doors.
It will do lots of other stuff, make molding, hand rails, etc.
But I admit that the raised panels is about all I use it for.
Now, not to scare you off, but if you haven't been around or used a shaper, I would advise you to go somewhere that has one and check out how they are used.
To me, this is one of the most well respected and dangerous tools in my shop. This baby has no limits on what it can send flying across the shop. Keep all the guards on and in place. If there are not sufficient guards, make them and put them on.
When you have a 3hp shaper with a 3 1/2" cutter spinning at 7000 rpm, to me it is more dangerous than a 3hp table saw with a ten inch blade spinning at 4500 rpm.
My suggestion would be to get a shaper handbook and read it over as to what can be done with them and the safety precautions. Then find a friend or cabinetmaker that will show you some things about it. Then maybe try it out.
If you feel comfortable using it, then make your decision whether you need one or not.
They do make shapers down to 1hp with smaller tables that are not quite so dangerous. But the smaller ones limit what you can do on material size.
On the brands, seems like most all of them are decent machines. Some have crappy fences, guards, etc.
I had a grizzly 3hp, was a decent machine, but the fence and chip collection was pitiful. My powermatic has a nice decent fence with excellent chip removal hood. Nice clean machine.
Steve

Keith Outten
04-18-2003, 2:48 AM
I've got to agree with Steve concerning shapers. I recently sold a 3hp Grizzly, I really didn't use it much. Every time I did use the machine I was always concerned about the safety factor and never got comfortable using the machine.

Shapers are very versitile tools though, I've seen some amazing work done by people who learned to use them properly. Two of my neighbors are very talented woodworkers and they can produce the most beautiful cabinetry. Shapers are primary machines in their shops but I have a rule about machines that are not used in mine...they have to go because I just can't afford to give up the space.

Gary
04-18-2003, 3:00 AM
Consider a power feeder if you get a shaper. I have one on mine and love it, but I'm sure there are people here who have a lot more hours on the machine than I do, and can give you their opinons on the increased safety offered by a power feed.

Gary

Steve Clardy
04-18-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Gary
Consider a power feeder if you get a shaper. I have one on mine and love it, but I'm sure there are people here who have a lot more hours on the machine than I do, and can give you their opinons on the increased safety offered by a power feed.

Gary

Agree with you here on the feeder. I have to admit that I haven't setup my feeder yet on the shaper. Just haven't had the justification to mount it yet. I usually have to grit my teeth and get mentally prepared before I bore holes in one of my machine tables. Took me 3 months to get up to where I felt comfortable about boring holes in my table saw table. Thats where i usually use my feeder.
I have a 6 speed 1/4hp feeder that I feel isn't slow enough on feed for a shaper, though I haven't tried it.
What feed speed to you run on your shaper Gary?
Steve

Von Bickley
04-18-2003, 11:21 AM
Tony,

I agree with everything that has been said concerning shapers. I have a friend that has a 3 HP shaper that is designated for making raise panels. It does a great job for what it is designed for.
I have another friend that bought a new 3 HP shaper and after he had another friend demo the shaper for him, he gave it away without ever using it.
I also agree that this is the perfect tool for a power-feeder.

Lee Schierer
04-18-2003, 12:42 PM
I have an old shaper and I don't use it much. The router does most of the same things when table mounted. I have all high speed steel cutters, so cutter sharpening is a concern. Mine has never kicked back on me but the cutter is exposed and difficult to guard.

I'm not sure I owuld make buying a shaper very high on my list of tools to have.