PDA

View Full Version : Cottonwood Vase

Curt Fuller
06-12-2011, 10:52 PM
I'm not sure what the correct term for this shape of vase is. I haven't turned many like this but happened to turn two this weekend. This one is Cottonwood with some bark and a little burl, and a few voids. It's 7" x 5.5", oiled with Antique Oil to bring out the color and then sprayed with deft gloss lacquer.

197833 197834

Marty Eargle
06-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Very awesome chunk of wood there and a nice form. From the pictures...it doesn't look like it should have held together at all.

I have some cottonwood drying right now and if it turns dry anything like it turns wet, this piece is a miracle ;)

Jim Burr
06-12-2011, 11:38 PM
Your a lucky man Curt! That looks like it's held together by a thread!! Sweet piece of wood amd a nice form to show it off:cool:

Steve Schlumpf
06-13-2011, 12:09 AM
Man - that is pretty! Good looking form - beautiful wood! Lots of color and I really like all the voids! Nice wokr Curt!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-13-2011, 12:49 AM
That is some gnarly wood Curt....great form..freat finish! ..sharp tools, steady hand and lots of courage. Well done Sir!

Kathy Marshall
06-13-2011, 12:53 AM
Great piece Curt! Great form and a very nice hunk of wood!

charlie knighton
06-13-2011, 3:33 AM
very nice, everybody's turning cottonwood

Michelle Rich
06-13-2011, 6:30 AM
good skills, neat wood = nifty turning

John Keeton
06-13-2011, 7:07 AM
Curt, I really like this new form you are trying, and the cottonwood is a spectacular piece of wood! You and Keller are the Kings of Void! I posted pics of the walnut piece and this one together - just for comparison. I like the treatment at the bottom of the walnut vase better for some reason - not that my opinion has any credibility, but just thought I would mention it. I realize the angle of the pics is different, and that may account for some of the difference.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=197835&d=1307933986&thumb=1 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=197835&d=1307933986)http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=197834&d=1307933504&thumb=1 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=197834&d=1307933504)

Bernie Weishapl
06-13-2011, 9:58 AM
That cottonwood is some beautiful stuff. I do like the form Curt.

Curt Fuller
06-13-2011, 6:40 PM
Thanks everyone for all the kind words.

Your a lucky man Curt! That looks like it's held together by a thread!!

From the pictures...it doesn't look like it should have held together at all, this piece is a miracle ;)

..sharp tools, steady hand and lots of courage.
:o:o:o Jim, Marty, Ken, I have to confess that this one didn't hold together. It made it through about 99.9% of the hollowing process and then when I was withdrawing the hollower at the end I nicked the edge of the opening and sent about 1/3 of the top of it flying. The lucky part was that it was a clean break with everything intact so it glued back in so clean that you can't see it was ever broken. So much for the steady hand.

I like the treatment at the bottom of the walnut vase better for some reason - not that my opinion has any credibility, but just thought I would mention it.

John, I've always considered you to be one the best when it comes to credible opinions. You also have a pretty sharp eye for picking out the flaws, especially from my lousy photography. That "treatment" is actually just a goof. I was getting pretty small on the foot and tried to slow the curve down while trying to keep as much height as I could. But my curve slowed so much it almost reversed itself. I was hoping the action at the top of the form would keep the attention up there. But it's pretty hard to get anything past you. And I mean that as a compliment!

Michael James
06-13-2011, 7:42 PM
Very nice piece and congratulations on getting this to the finish line! I'm starting to think it a cruel hoax the universe is playing on me when I see all this "colorful" cottonwood. NM rio grande valley cottonwood is just plain... and stinky! Thanks for posting.
mj

Baxter Smith
06-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Very pretty wood Curt. I have a couple roughouts of cottonwood that JK sent me that have been drying for more than a year. Doesn't have all the color but should still be pretty. Someday.....

David E Keller
06-13-2011, 10:13 PM
Very cool, Curt! We share a love for bark and voids and gnarly! I'll bet that little 'wing' at the top had a little wiggle to it when sanding... Too cool!