PDA

View Full Version : Ken got me to start my materials list...

Jim O'Dell
06-12-2011, 9:37 PM
....for the computer desk built I want to start this summer. I'm trying to match some Red Oak bedroom furniture, but I think I've got a pretty good stain match with some QS White Oak. Need to get some finish on it to make sure, but I think it's about as close as I can get the Red Oak piece I have to match it. In pricing 3/4" ply, why in the world would MDF core WO Rift sawn be 25 bucks more a sheet than the same core in Quarter Sawn WO? :confused::confused::confused: I still will need to get pricing from my normal hardwood lumber yard, but this makes no sense to me.
Oh well. Don't have all the money I need for the build, but maybe the LOML will spot me some. She's already asked if I was going to start the computer desk this summer. :D Jim.

Bill Huber
06-12-2011, 11:31 PM
Why not go with red oak to start with?

Where are you getting your wood?

Ken Fitzgerald
06-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Bill,

Did you notice how skillfully he's laying the blame on me when he approaches his wife for additional funds?

Bill Huber
06-12-2011, 11:36 PM
Bill,

Did you notice how skillfully he's laying the blame on me when he approaches his wife for additional funds?

Yes, that is what is called blame shifting, it works very well in a lot of cases, some time it takes me awhile to come up with a good way to do the shift.

David Helm
06-13-2011, 11:36 AM
You guys must have easier wives than I. Blame shift never works with her. As for the important question, "why MDF core is more expensive than veneer core" I have no answer. I use a lot of VG fir plywood. MDF core for that is cheaper than veneer core. I think it's just the vagaries of corporate decisions based on some mysterious concept.

Jim O'Dell
06-13-2011, 8:41 PM
David, both the Rift and the QS are MDF core. What I don't understand is why the Rift is more expensive than the QS.
Ken....use you for getting more money from the little lady?? Nah. :rolleyes: It's unclear if it will work anyway. :p I think I'm in good standing because I've figured a way to use one sheet of the ply to do the desk, and repair some damage to the night stand and dresser. At least, that's my story. ;)
The reason I'm contemplating using the QSWO is for the more exaggerated fleck/ray that QSWO is supposed to have over QSRO. I'm thinking it might be more readily available also. The pricing on the ply is from Plywood Co of Fort Worth. I got a sheet of Baltic Birch from them earlier this year. Seems to be good quality. My go to place is Barney Robinson's Hardwood, "Best Ash in town!" In fact, I got all the Ash I made the kitchen at the previous house from them. Great guys to work with. You go out to the barn, pick you wood, a worker fills out a sheet with the item and board feet, you load and go to the office to pay. Last time I was in, Barney wasn't there. He is the one that talked me into the Ash for the kitchen...I had gone in to get Oak. Not sure if he is still alive or not. Jim.