PDA

View Full Version : Snowman Ornaments ????

Donny Lawson
06-12-2011, 8:55 PM
I would like to make some snowman ornaments for x-mas but cannot figure out how to get the right size and snowman look. I've tried some this evening but it doesn't look like a snowman. I guess this simple bead and cove cut is harder than I thought. Sorry for the simple question but it isn't working for me for some reason. I'm useing long grind 3/8 spindle gouge and a 1/4 patring tool. I think the parting tool has something to do with it. It leaves too much room in between each body piece. Of course I cannot make a circle either. Whats the secret to that?

Scott Hackler
06-12-2011, 9:02 PM
Donny, I haven't made any of these .....yet, but if I were going to make them I wouldnt use a parting tool in between the body parts. I would taper the piece in the "body" area and just turn round balls. That taper would make progressively smaller balls. If you plan it out, you can have enough material left on top of the smallest ball (the head) for a hat.

It is way to early to start up the ornament factory! Don't get me started on these this early in the year! I wont get anything else done. :)

Bernie Weishapl
06-12-2011, 9:07 PM
When making snowmen I make the head part 1" to 1 1/4". Then middle body a 1 3/4" to 2" and the bottom 2 1/2" to 2 3/4". I use a swept back spindle gouge and a skew. A lot of people hate the skew but I love it as I have 8 of them.

Scott I have mine done already. I just have a few special order birdhouses and ornaments left.

Scott Hackler
06-12-2011, 9:18 PM
Scott I have mine done already. I just have a few special order birdhouses and ornaments left.

YOU'VE GOT WHAT DONE ALREADY???? Geez Bernie, way to get a 6 month jump on Christmas! lol I dont plan on starting mine for several months, because once I start them.... thats all I turn.

Bernie Weishapl
06-12-2011, 9:22 PM
Scott if I don't do mine early, it will be Christmas and I am going to be saying "oh shoot, now what."LOL