PDA

View Full Version : ID Mystery wood

Jerry Crawford
02-10-2005, 7:27 PM
From these pictures can anyone ID this wood? It's a piece I picked up in an exotic lumber yard in MA a few years ago and can't recall the name. It's pretty heavy and has a very very tight grain running the length of the turning. Those dark bands are throughout the piece. It turns and drills very easy, almost like lignam with a slick appearing surface in drilled holes. The shavings come off the wood almost like snow and it you touch them they turn to dust. They also have a sweet fragarance.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/JerryCrawford/mysterywood2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/JerryCrawford/mysterywood1.jpg

Robby Phelps
02-10-2005, 8:20 PM
It is hard to tell with pictures over the net but it really reminds me of some ropey curl figured Bubinga i used for a rocking chair 6 months ago. You may want to check out the book "Identifying Wood" by Bruce Hoadley. It is a good resource. Very nice piece though. What are you planning to make out of it?

Signature line was removed - contained a direct link to poster's web site which violates the SMC Terms of Service.

Jerry Crawford
02-10-2005, 8:22 PM
chisel handle

Mark Stutz
02-10-2005, 9:48 PM
Jerry,
I'm fairly sure that is Snakewood. Looks like the handle of my marking knife--look at the Chester Tool Works site. If I remeber correctly, that sized piece is usually a small fortune! It is indeed heavier than lignum vitae.

Mark

Jerry Crawford
02-10-2005, 10:03 PM
Mark - I believe you're correct. Hmmm, can't say how long I've had this piece but it has been kicking around in a box under my bench for several years. This piece is going to wind up as a chisel handle someday. I turned it today to get some idea what i had in this wax covered billet. Surprise :D !

Keith Christopher
02-11-2005, 12:15 AM
I agree that is snakewood. I recognized it right off the bat. heavy dense wood sold by the pound around these parts. And yes it is about 60.00/lb

Ken Salisbury
02-11-2005, 5:52 AM
Defintely Snakewood

Arnie Grammon
02-11-2005, 6:06 AM
I agree that is snakewood. I recognized it right off the bat. heavy dense wood sold by the pound around these parts. And yes it is about 60.00/lb
$60.00 a pound :eek: . Sweep that lathe off.......you might get enough for a hamburger for lunch :) .

AG

Keith Cope
02-11-2005, 7:58 AM
Pricey is right...I was in a wood store the other day and saw the going rate at $175/b.f.!!!

Greg Heppeard
02-11-2005, 9:08 AM
Turn with caution...snakewood is very prone to cracking and checking, even when dry. Don't get the stuff hot.

Mike Mastin
02-11-2005, 11:06 AM
Like Greg stated, be careful with it as it will start cracking if you even look at it funny :eek:

Nice piece of Snakewood at that!

Jerry Crawford
02-11-2005, 11:15 AM
It's beginning to come back to me how I acquired this stick. It was in a large box of unknown type wood scraps at an exotice wood outlet just north of Boston. I bought several sticks, about the size of a pool que handle of ebony, ironwood, bloodwood and this piece, out of the box for some (unremembered) price per pound. Most of the pieces had cracks or wain or splits so the price was not unreasonable. I have about 14" of this left I think I'll be a bit more circumspect how I use it.