PDA

View Full Version : Help with Dewalt DW705 12" Compound Miter Saw

Danny Hamsley
06-12-2011, 6:01 PM
My DW705 began to act up by not starting up all the time when the switch was engaged. It happened a couple of times one day, then would not start at all. The next morning, it started and ran fine, and it stayed that way for a few weeks. Every time that I went to use it, it started and ran normal. Then, it would not start again, and I ordered and replaced the brushes. Started and ran fine for the next month or so, then last week, it started up and quit running after 2 seconds. Never did that before. Would not start again for the next few days, and this was last week.

The saw is 14 years old with about 100,000 miles on it. I thought about shipping it to the Service Center, but knowing that with shipping and repair I would have a lot of more money sunk in it, I wasn't sure that made sense. I suspected it might be the switch, and I did not want to replace it if the problem was as simple as a bad switch. So, I got the new switch and installed it today. Nope, would not start. Voltmeter showed that the switch was getting power, and the power was transferred to the outbound side of the switch to the motor, so now I have two switches. Took the motor housing off and all the wiring and copper coils looked perfect. Cleaned that armature that the brushes ride on. Cleaned the new brushes. Nothing. I am now at the end of my meager trouble shooting skills.

Any advice or experience on what it may be ? Anybody got an extra one around that they don't need ;).