PDA

View Full Version : Small brass try square

Jeff Wittrock
06-12-2011, 3:53 PM
Haven't felt well that last few weeks, so decided to take a break from bigger projects and have some fun with little stuff

Had some brass laying around that I salvaged from an unwanted trophy, and small piece of Honduran Rosewood, so decided I needed a small try square. The blade is attached to the front and rear faces with steel pins that are peened in place. The faces are attached by steel pins passing through the rosewood.

Both the blade and handle are around 4" long.

Jim Koepke
06-12-2011, 4:22 PM
Looks nice. I have been thinking of making some small try squares.

Hope you start feeling better soon.

jtk

Trevor Walsh
06-12-2011, 4:56 PM
I like it,

george wilson
06-12-2011, 5:29 PM
Nice looking square!!

Trevor Walsh
06-12-2011, 9:57 PM
Well if George says he likes it, you've certainly got a winner there. How is the beam attached? is it just the three cross pins and the two end pins? Was squaring the inside difficult with that construction?

Curt Putnam
06-13-2011, 12:13 AM
Absolutely gorgeous! Can I assume it is square? :-)

Jeff Wittrock
06-13-2011, 7:38 PM
Thanks all.

...How is the beam attached? is it just the three cross pins and the two end pins? Was squaring the inside difficult with that construction?
Trevor. Yes, just the three cross pins in the face, and two pins through the back. The assembly order was:
1. Front and rear faces attached to the rosewood with through pins, then peened.
2. Next, drilled the cross pin holes in the front face.
3. Glued the blade into place with super glue while squaring the inside.
4. Ran the drill through the cross pin holes and the blade.
5. Pinned the blade in place with cross pins in the front face and peened.
6. Double checked the inside square then drilled and pinned the back.
7. Light filing/sanding on the back of the blade to square the outside.

Absolutely gorgeous! Can I assume it is square? :-)
Curt. Well as square as the method I used to check it :). I used a granite tile with one good flat edge. Placed the front face on the flat edge with the blade on top of the tile. Scribed a light line along the inside edge of blade. Flipped the square over and checked the inside edge against the scribed line. Repeated for the outside edge.

As long as my granite tile has one good flat edge this should work out with the largest source of error being my not so good eyes combined with the short blade.

Trevor Walsh
06-14-2011, 12:01 AM
Thanks Jeff.