PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy Help Please

Dick Wilson
06-12-2011, 2:33 PM
I want to do an a piece that will take a considerable amount of epoxy. I have used System Three in the past and it is a great product......it is also quite expensive. I know there are other manufacturers out there who make/sell epoxy that is much more reasonable in $$$$.
What epoxy do you use and where do you get it? Thanks for helping. Dick

John Hart
06-12-2011, 2:39 PM
I use Loctite heavy duty. I get it at Home depot and I think I paid $13 for my last set. I did find out that the fiberglass resin I've been using works really good as an adhesive but I don't know what yer up to. Probably no good.:) The resin was $30 a gallon.

Bill Bulloch
06-12-2011, 2:49 PM
I have build two boats and used Marinepoxy Epoxy. It does the same job as System 3, but is a little cheaper. The Marinepoxy 3 Quart Epoxy Kit (Resin and Hardner) sells for only $51.00 at Boat Builders Central.

James Combs
06-12-2011, 2:51 PM
I use Loctite heavy duty. I get it at Home depot and I think I paid $13 for my last set. I did find out that the fiberglass resin I've been using works really good as an adhesive but I don't know what yer up to. Probably no good.:) The resin was $30 a gallon.

Ditto Loctite HD. If someone does have a source for a good cheaper epoxy I would also be interested.

Brian Libby
06-12-2011, 3:02 PM
Last month we had Marilyn Campbell demo at Maine Moodturners and she uses West System Epoxy. She uses epoxy in most of her turnings.
she uses resin 105, hardener 205 , microlight 410 filler and "artist's oil paints" for color.
She stated that not all epoxy are good for turning.

Mark Hazelden
06-12-2011, 3:38 PM
I met Beth Ireland last month and she has used West System epoxy.

She did caution us to use gloves and a respirator when using epoxy. Beth developed a severe sensitivity to epoxy because of her exposures.

robert raess
06-12-2011, 4:05 PM
Check into Zpoxy on Amazon,$12.79 for 12 oz. Stephen hatcher uses this.The nice thing, it thins and cleans up with DA [alcohol].

Greg Just
06-12-2011, 4:31 PM
I use Locite 2 part epoxy.

David E Keller
06-12-2011, 4:51 PM
I get mine from woodenwonderstx.com... Great source for CA glue and epoxy.

Dick Wilson
06-12-2011, 5:15 PM
Last month we had Marilyn Campbell demo at Maine Moodturners and she uses West System Epoxy. She uses epoxy in most of her turnings.
she uses resin 105, hardener 205 , microlight 410 filler and "artist's oil paints" for color.
She stated that not all epoxy are good for turning.

Brian, I say Marilyn's demo yesterday and the process she uses to inject stiffened colored epoxy is exactly what I was looking for on a turning I have been thinking about.