PDA

View Full Version : General Metalworking Metal Bracket Extensions

Jim Fay
06-12-2011, 1:06 PM
Hi
I am not accustomed to working with metal and have a couple of questions. I have 3 metal brackets that used to support an outdoor bar of some type attached to my house under a sliding window. The brackets are too short for our use now. My idea is to extend them with some longer metal stock by mounting (screwing) the new stock to the top of the original brackets. I would then mount some nice redwood or cedar on top of the new longer brackets. The old brackets are 1" wide by 10" long. I want to extend them another 6" or so. My questions are following:
1. What type of metal or aluminum (and how thick) should I use of outdoor purposes?
2. I am guessing I would tap and drill holes (countersink) in the new brackets to line up with old brackets below. Does this require special tools other than drill, tap, etc.
3. What type of fasteners (to prohibit rust)?
4. Other than welding (don't own) is this the right way to go?

Thanks so much for any ideas, help and comments.
Jim

Chris Fournier
06-12-2011, 2:46 PM
I'll assume that the original brackets are factory made. The factory designed them to bear "X" load at 10". By extending them a full 6" you are dramatically increasing the load on these brackets; perhaps enough to cause them to fail. Personally I'd likely look at using a larger stronger bracket. It's pretty embarassing when the garden party comes to a crashing halt and the last of the party favours are all over the patio.

Jim Fay
06-12-2011, 4:19 PM
Thanks Chis I definitely had not thought of that. Something to ponder for sure
Jim

Thomas Bank
06-13-2011, 10:30 AM
4. Other than welding (don't own) is this the right way to go?

I agree with Chris. Depending on how the current brackets are set up, they may be overloaded with an extension.

Where are you located? Perhaps someone local to you has welding equipment.

Jim Fay
06-13-2011, 10:55 PM
Thanks Thomas for making +2. I live in Saugus, Ca. I will make an effort to ask around work for welder types.