PDA

View Full Version : Another use for a coring system.

Jack Mincey
06-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Here is a picture of what one can do with a coring system in place of making sets of bowls. I really do not like to sand so making nested sets is not my favorite thing to do. Unless it is a nice burl I tend to just core out the largest blank I can out of the middle of a nice blank. I then make a nice HF from the cored out section and a nice open bowl from it as well. Less sanding and I tend to be able to sell the HF's for a lot more than the bowls I core out of the blank.
Jack
Here is a HF sitting in the bowl I cored it out of.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/DSC00264.jpg
Here is the roughed out HF that was cored out of the bowl.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/DSC00265.jpg

Shawn Kapusta
06-12-2011, 1:18 PM
Intresting, so you did that with that with the same piece of wood? How big was this particular piece?

Shootin and Scootin
SK

John Hart
06-12-2011, 1:49 PM
Nifty idea. Matching HF and bowl....I think that's unique!

Bernie Weishapl
06-12-2011, 1:54 PM
Unique and interesting idea. Looks good.

Tim Thiebaut
06-12-2011, 2:26 PM
I dont have a coreing system yet, but someday when I do get one I will remember this trick, very cool! Thanks for shareing this idea with us!

Mark Hazelden
06-12-2011, 3:28 PM
Jack says he doesn't like sanding.... but then he goes and sands the insides of his hollow forms! :)

Do you ever sell the matching hollow form and bowl together?

Pete Jordan
06-12-2011, 4:43 PM
Consider this idea "borrowed"

thanks and great pieces!

David E Keller
06-12-2011, 4:47 PM
Nice way to save the center... At first I thought you had partially cored the HF then turned the entire thing as one piece.

Steve Schlumpf
06-12-2011, 5:12 PM
Nice idea - great looking set! Good luck with your sales!

Shawn Kapusta
06-12-2011, 8:30 PM
I m missing something here, so this (HF?) came from the same piece of stock right? Whats the trick? Is it making 2 different things out of one?

Harry Robinette
06-12-2011, 8:41 PM
Jack
I have a coring system and I really like your idea and I'm probably going to use it,Thought I'd let you know in advance. Great idea, keep thinking.

Jack Mincey
06-12-2011, 9:02 PM
Thanks everyone. It is a HF turned from the core I got from the bowl. I've done it 5 or 6 times now. You waist a little wood by the time you get the HF shaped to suit you, but it has worked out well so far. You are limited to the shape of the form, but using a McNaughton one should be able to get taller forms. I'm going to have to brake down and learn how to use one of them some day. Next time I do one I will do a step by step photo of it to share. I posted this thread to share the ideal, I'm quit sure that there are others that have been doing the same thing way before I ever thought of it.
Turn Safe,
Jack

Baxter Smith
06-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Looks good Jack. I know what you mean about the sanding. I thought initially I would do this with most of the wood I cored. Haven't done it as much as planned because I have found it tough to trade a 12 inch bowl or larger, for a low HF half that size. Then again I haven't started to sand out a lot of them.:)

Michelle Rich
06-13-2011, 6:44 AM
thanks for sharing the concept