PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Clewes at East Texas Woodturners

Thomas Canfield
06-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Jimmy Clewes was here for 3 days of hands on classes at a members shop with 8 in each class. I went on Wednesday where we turned a square bowl with square lid. The pieces were maple, about 7" square with 3" square lid. Jimmy did an excellent job of demonstrating and then working with us as we did our pieces. He finished up the day demonstrating a small lidded box and how to get the tight fit for the lid, and we went home with material to do one on our own.

Today, Jimmy did the demo for our club here in Tyler with probably over 100 attending. He started the demo doing a rectanguular oriental lidded bowl (4"W x 10"L x 2 1/2"H with rectangular lid) before lunch, and then a cowboy hat out of wet Sycamore after lunch, and finished with a small African drum style lidded box with ebony and silver insert in lid. He really gave us a good demo.

Pictures were made today at the meeting.

Baxter Smith
06-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Looks like you had a great time! Lucky you!

Steve Schlumpf
06-12-2011, 12:16 AM
WOW! Congrats on being able to take advantage of such an opportunity! Sure looks like it would have been a lot of fun!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-12-2011, 12:19 AM
Color me green with envy!

Kelvin Burton
06-12-2011, 1:24 AM
I was also privileged to attend one of the one day workshops (yesterday) and the club meeting today! It was a great time, he completed the hat in only two hours!

Here's a short clip showing a very small part of the demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmYjGhuAsgE

Some of you will remember my post from a few days ago showing the block of Sycamore that this was turned from.

John Hart
06-12-2011, 7:06 AM
Nifty!! Sounds fun. I wanna do one of them hats some day. :)