PDA

View Full Version : Waterfall with bubbles bubinga?

William Nimmo
06-11-2011, 9:31 PM
I am not sure what kind of wood this is, but this cockpit table that I made is most likely my favorite piece, just based on the wood. Curly maple edges, spanish cedar column, teak and holly base and the top I like to call waterfall with bubbles , just based on appearance. Do we think this is Bubinga?197749197748197747

Paul Girouard
06-12-2011, 1:43 AM
It doesn't seem red enough to be to be Bubinga , maybe some deep birds eye Cherry?? What finish is on it , gloss poly? Lacquer?

Sure is a nice table / nice pieces of wood!! Nice job!

William Nimmo
06-12-2011, 4:19 AM
It is way too heavy and dense to be cherry. It has 5 coats general finishes wipe on poly and 1 coat finishing wax.

John Coloccia
06-12-2011, 5:09 AM
My guess is you have "waterfall bubinga".

Larry Fox
06-12-2011, 5:56 AM
Sure is a pretty table but I have to agree with Paul here that I don't think it is bubinga. Did it have any sap wood? If so, what did it look like? When I first saw it I was thinking some sort of mahogony but you then said it was pretty dense. But I am not very good at wood ID so ...

Curt Putnam
06-12-2011, 6:42 AM
Oh darn - and I thought this was a post about a lady of less than stellar reputation. :-)

Dan Bowman
06-12-2011, 8:52 AM
it looks like quilted/pomelle sapele to me

David Keller NC
06-12-2011, 9:01 AM
If it's really hard and heavy, it's not likely to be SA mahogany or Sapele/african mahogany. Bubinga is the most likely choice if you purchased it in the last 3 years. There was a flood of it on the market - just about everyone had huge "waterfall" bubinga slabs for sale, including, of all places, Rockler.

This strongly suggests someone in Africa clear-cut a really ancient forest, and flooded the market with once-in-a-lifetime boards. Kind of sad, if you think about it. But I rather doubt the opportunity to acquire boards like that will be repeated.

Jim Matthews
06-12-2011, 9:05 AM
SWAG - I think it's ELM.

Without looking at the endgrain, you may well be right about Bubinga:
Slideshow (http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/z.monthlynewsletter/november07newsletter/bubinga_pictures/slideshow/slideshow.html)

William Nimmo
06-12-2011, 9:32 AM
I purchased it and a lot of other hardwoods at an Auction about 2 years ago.
It was one of about 75 pieces of sample boards . All different species and sizes.
Some labeled some not.

Elijah Fontenot
06-12-2011, 7:24 PM
That was exactly what i was thinking.

it looks like quilted/pomelle sapele to me

Dave Avery
06-12-2011, 9:07 PM
Looks like makore to me....

Dan Friedrichs
06-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Looks like makore to me....

The color looks right for that. William, if you had any sort of allergic/sneezing/swelling reaction to the dust, it might be makore (aka "African cherry")

Andy Sowers
06-12-2011, 11:51 PM
You're right about the bubinga slabs popping up... our local woodcraft has had one on display/for sale for awhile. The last time I was in there, they had a note posted on it that the country of Gabon has started restricting the export of bubinga. They stated that this was possibly the last bubinga that they'd be able to source...

Andy

Jim Matthews
06-13-2011, 8:12 AM
Makore photo (http://www.getwood.com/stage/rtb1481/details_lumber/details_makore_figured.htm)

Chris Fournier
06-13-2011, 8:19 AM
I would go with the sappele, African mahogany or makore camp. the colour doesn't look right for bubinga and the figure doesn't look like the pommele that I've seen.

I worked for an importer over 10 years ago that brought in thousands of board feet of the highest quality pommele bubinga via Germany. Way back then we wondered how long the supply of this magnificent lumber could last. Pity. Fortunately many of the great livesawn slabs were used in whole as "conference tables" so one day the furniture will be parted out and the slabs will be used by another generation of WWkrs.

William Nimmo
06-13-2011, 9:04 AM
I have african mahogany, sappele from the same auction. Not the same as this. I think I have some makore, I will see if is the same.
Oh and that picture from Roberts Plywood. Great source of materials. Just an 1/2 an hour from me. I have not been there much due to that auction where I picked up 7 van loads of material.

David Weaver
06-13-2011, 9:14 AM
Makore looks lots different depending on the orientation of the cut.

I'm voting for makore, just in case there ever is a definitive answer.

Paul Grothouse
06-15-2011, 10:41 PM
It is Pommelle Sapele. It is not Bubinga