PDA

View Full Version : The Saga Concludes…

David DeCristoforo
06-11-2011, 7:38 PM
I had planned to cover the center panel and shelf of my lathe with that thin, ribbed rubber matting. But as I was looking online for some, the words "bed liner" popped up. One of my nieces husband used to be in the spray on bed liner business and I asked him about this DIY brush on stuff. "It's crap" he said. But what if I just want to do my lathe center panel and shelf and not a pickup bed? No problem he says. It would be fine for that. He gave me one other warning… don't get that stuff on anything you don't want it on. It does not come off!!! That includes your flesh. If you get it on your skin, it must be removed by the same "mechanical means" used to get that aerosol foam stuff off.

So off to Kragen I went this morning to get a can of this incredibly "ickey", black lumpy goo. Coated the panel and shelf with a nice "rubberized" surface that should be good enough to keep stuff I put on the shelf from getting bunged up.

So now I can say "This project is done." I will have to let it cure and air out for another day but by Monday, I can get back to working "at" the lathe instead of "on" the lathe.

PS I have also decided that there will be no racing stripes, sirens, mermaids or other embellishments added. At least not for now...

Nate Davey
06-11-2011, 7:43 PM
Beautiful job David, I'm envious of your lathe and your workshop. Maybe when I move back out west I'll look at something similar

Jack Mincey
06-11-2011, 7:56 PM
Great job, I think that it looks better than it did NEW. I have three of these old lathes in my school shops I teach at. They are work horses even if they aren't as fancy as the new lathes. I sure wish they looked as nice as yours.
Jack

Tim Thiebaut
06-11-2011, 8:15 PM
Wow that looks brand new David, you did a good job on that!

Russell Eaton
06-11-2011, 8:22 PM
David that is a good idea. I think you have done good by your machine.

David E Keller
06-11-2011, 8:41 PM
Man, that's a good looking lathe! I love my mustard, but you're color scheme is much nicer than the stock coloring on the PM. I'm ready to see it dirty!

David DeCristoforo
06-11-2011, 8:51 PM
"I'm ready to see it dirty!"

Ahh... I don't know. Those guys might be watching. They do that you know. Always lurking around...

David E Keller
06-11-2011, 8:52 PM
"I'm ready to see it dirty!"

Ahh... I don't know. Those guys might be watching. They do that you know. Always lurking around...

Nah, they're probably off washing their hands again and again... You've got plenty of time.

charlie knighton
06-11-2011, 9:03 PM
David, nice job, but maybe you need native dancing girl in grass skirt on headstock doing the hula if you get any vibration, you can get it off your dash

Roger Chandler
06-11-2011, 9:22 PM
That is a fine upgrade on your machine David..........very nice indeed!

Steve Schlumpf
06-11-2011, 9:51 PM
Wow! That is one slick looking lathe! Amazing what a change in color can do!

Baxter Smith
06-11-2011, 10:51 PM
Looks sharp David! Almost makes me want to paint mine. Almost.

Kathy Marshall
06-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Dang David! Your lathe really looks great! I love the color scheme. Since I have almost the same lathe I'd really be tempted to try something similar if I had the room to pull the lathe out to get to the back and sides (of course that would mean cleaning up all the shavings in front and the 4' deep pile of shavings in back :eek: )

Rick Markham
06-12-2011, 1:47 AM
Man, that turned out great Double D! Now that's a good looking setup!

Billy Tallant
06-12-2011, 2:37 AM
Nice looking job on that lathe. Color scheme is eye catching to say the least.

John Hart
06-12-2011, 7:13 AM
Wow...that's cool. I can think of a dozen applications for that stuff in my shop. Does it have a name? Or do I search for "incredibly "ickey", black lumpy goo".?

John Keeton
06-12-2011, 7:23 AM
David, without doubt, this is the finest looking lathe I have seen - bar none. I am including all new PMs, all of them! This is a piece of art in itself.

Which leads me to my next comment - you can't turn on this lathe!!! It has transcended from function to art, and has no utilitarian value. At this point, your only option is to set this one aside for public view (perhaps by admission), and buy another lathe that you will be free to use in the customary fashion.

David DeCristoforo
06-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Well, thanx for all the comments. Remember, it's your guyses fault that I had to divert my attention to such mundane activities. Oh the shame of shame! Ah... the joyful bliss of redemption!!!

Here's one more "full body shot" of the completed lathe:

Of course now I have to go back and clean up the mess I made cleaning up my machine...

"I can think of a dozen applications for that stuff in my shop. Does it have a name? Or do I search for "incredibly "ickey", black lumpy goo".?"

Generic name = "brush on bed liner"
Brand name = "Herculiner"... reputed to be the best of a number of similar products.

Be advised:

The fumes from this stuff will melt your brain. It says so right on the can. Major ventilation is a must!

Do not get it on anything you don't want it on. It does not come off! There is no known solvent for it. It's like nuclear waste.

"...this is the finest looking lathe I have seen..."

Well, maybe you need to browse around on owwm.com for a while. There are some awesome restorations to be seen there. But I appreciate the comment. Especially coming from the guy who started this whole thing in the first place!

"...maybe you need native dancing girl in grass skirt on headstock..."

That would be horribly distracting. And my wife would most definitely not like it! Besides, I already said... no more embellishments!

"...that would mean cleaning up all the shavings..."

Yes... that's kind of where this whole thing got started...

Cathy Schaewe
06-13-2011, 3:39 PM
Boy does that look nice - but just think how many beautiful little flowers (my name for those goblet pieces) you could have turned in the meantime .... :D (just makin' trouble!;))

Roger Chandler
06-13-2011, 5:11 PM
Boy, there is just something refreshing about a bath and a nice set of fresh clean clothes.....;):D:cool:...........enjoy the "new" era of that fine machine!

Mike Cruz
06-13-2011, 5:18 PM
That looks just awesome! Congrats.

Dan Hintz
06-14-2011, 7:13 AM
Dang David! Your lathe really looks great! I love the color scheme.
Kathy beat me to it... the color scheme makes it look really slick, like a new brand just hit the market.

Dusty Fuller
06-14-2011, 11:56 PM
Anybody got a Cadillac hood ornament?

David DeCristoforo
06-15-2011, 12:24 AM
"Anybody got a Cadillac hood ornament?"

DeSoto, baby.... DeSoto

Jon McElwain
06-15-2011, 12:50 AM
Nice Ride!!