PDA

View Full Version : A couple new tools

Mark Baldwin III
06-11-2011, 7:23 PM
I haven't hit the antiques stores for several weeks, so I decided to go today. Got a Stanley sweetheart square, sweetheart #60 spoke shave, a light mallet (or is that a potato masher?:)), and a Sandusky compass plane (#3).
The plane has no iron, so maybe I'll make one. It was $2, so who really cares, right?
The square is spot on, you can see it with one of my reference squares in the pic.
The spoke shave is in pretty good condition, though I'm not sure I'm totally capable of sharpening the round side.
The mash-o-mallet looked like it could make a decent light duty knocker. Hardly looks as if it has ever been used for anything.

Jim Neeley
06-11-2011, 8:15 PM
A sweet score, Mark!!

Mark Baldwin III
06-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Thanks, Jim. One thing I do whenever I pick up some old tool, is I come home and look around the interwebs for a little info. I was quite surprised to see a couple of those spoke shaves in sorta junky condition being sold for about 5 or 6 times what I paid! I buy stuff to use, not to resell, but sometimes it's nice to see. I'm about to start searching for some info on the square. After a little clean up, it will be a nice addition to my measuring tools.
There were a couple of other tools nagging at me today, but I left 'em alone. Could've come home with two more Disstons and a Liberty Bell jointer. If I see the jointer again (which I'm sure I will, tools don't exactly fly out of the stores here), I'm going to get it.