PDA

View Full Version : Hand drill question

Mark Dorman
06-11-2011, 7:06 PM
I bought a Stanley Medical Dept. hand drill. It looked cool to me and cleaned up nice. A little lube and it spins free and the Jacobs chuck works free as well. I can't seem to find anything on line about them. Question is has anyone seen one and what are they called and when where they made? It has Stanley New Haven Conn. USA below the gears and Medical Dept. USA above the gears.

Thanks
Mark

ray hampton
06-11-2011, 7:26 PM
the tee handle remains me of a so-called breast drill, am not sure of what year when they were in use

Jim Koepke
06-11-2011, 7:46 PM
I have seen new ones that are a bit different than yours. The new ones are kind of neat since the chuck is at 90° to the handle. A friend of mine who is an Emergency Room Nurse brought a used one home. The one he had was made and packaged for single use. He explained that they were used to release pressure inside the skull when there was a severe head injury.

I am sure there are other uses such as installing pins in bones and such.

He has a small collection of medical tools that are pretty much the same as regular tools except they are made to be used in medical situations.

Google search > medical drill antique < you will find a lot of items. Click on > images < and you will find a whole different world of hand tools that could work in a wood shop, but the medical tool collectors will likely out bid you every time.

jtk

Jim Neeley
06-11-2011, 8:14 PM
Yea Jim.. Tough to out-bid the Docs!! <g>

Mark Dorman
06-12-2011, 8:54 PM
Thanks Jim K. The right key words in a search make a differance. I found one guy that wanted $270 and another at $99.
So the $10 I have in it is looking good. I'm going to use it and see how comfortable it is to use.

Dave Lehnert
06-12-2011, 11:24 PM
I have a book on old Stanley tools. Does the drill have a model number?

Jim Koepke
06-13-2011, 12:04 AM
I have a book on old Stanley tools. Does the drill have a model number?

I couldn't find it in the John Walter book.

It could be in other books. There are a lot of specialized tools in various fields that do not end up in the catalogs seen by the general public. I would guess it would be quite a fun time watching bids on a Stanley medical tool catalog if such exists.

jtk

Dave Lehnert
06-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Thats the book I have. I don't remember seeing anything like that in the book. Keep us up to date with any other info you find.

Steve LaFara
06-14-2011, 10:46 PM
Kind of creepy that it would have been used to drill through someone's flesh and bones...............................on purpose.