PDA

View Full Version : Cutting boards (again -- wood safety)

Jim Hinze
02-10-2005, 4:11 PM
I'm getting read to do a butcher block for SWMBO (The David Marks island) and am planning on using

(walnut, ash, purple heart, cherry, hard maple) which I know are all safe, but was also considering Mahagony (african) and Jahatoba... and was wondering about their safety..

Better yet, is there a listing of toxic woods that should not be used in food preparation?

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-10-2005, 8:02 PM
The best source I've found is by doing a "Google" search with the words "Wood" + "Toxcicity".

Bruce

Robby Phelps
02-10-2005, 8:14 PM
Hi Jim,

I would double check using walnut. I have heard that it is really bad to use the shavings in pet cages and for horse stalls i believe it is poisonous. Not sure but definetly check.

Best of luck and post some pictures. I love projects that mix wood species.
Robby Phelps RP Custom Woodworks

Signature line was removed - contained a direct link to poster's web site which violates the SMC Terms of Service.

Andy London
02-10-2005, 8:28 PM
I think what many become confused with is the wood is not the toxic part, it's the dust and yes in some cases the shavings when mixed with urine becomes toxic.

I along with many others have been making cutting boards for many years using the woods you list and probably 40 others with no problems at all. I have studied domestic and exotic woods for the past 25 years and have yet to find and document that states any of the woods are toxic to humans when used in cutting boards or bowls.

Andy

Steve Cox
02-10-2005, 9:59 PM
I'll ditto what Andy said. While many of these woods are toxic as dust, I've yet to see a problem in a cutting board.

Norman Hitt
02-11-2005, 4:17 AM
Jim, as others have stated, Toxicity is not a problem, but a closed grain wood is an absolute necessity. Open grain woods provide too many "Niches" for bacteria to hide that can cause Real Illnesses.

For some additional information about keeping the board Sterile, go to the following site, and also check out one of the links there about the Dr's tests comparing Vinegar to commercial Ammonia, etc. Very informative.

(I think this is a legal link for this forum, but if not would the host please remove it with my apologies)

http://www.whatscookingamerica.net/CuttingBoards/AllAbout.htm

Jim Hinze
02-11-2005, 4:56 AM
Thanks a ton everyone. As always, great suggestions & advice.