PDA

View Full Version : Faceplate ring or faceplate

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
06-11-2011, 6:07 PM
I have the faceplate that came with my lathe, a Jet 1642. It is about six inches and really heavy. I some times want to use a faceplate and do not need that large of a face, yes i just use the inner screw holes, and there are smaller face plates, but I have several SN2 chucks and jaws and have just found the "faceplate ring" for the 50mm jaws. It seems that most all of the chuck makers have "rings" for their chucks of various diameters to match up with their specific jaws. I bought the one for the SN2-50mm jaw, but have yet to use it. Having a hunk of wood screwed down to my big faceplate is rather stable, I have had blanks come out when only using the woodworm screw:eek:.

Does any one have any experience with these "rings" as opposed to a "normal" faceplate?
Good, bad, no difference???

For you Nova users, i also found a refubished site at... novatoolsusa.com ... you can get refurbished chucks and lathes.... much reduced in price.

Thanks... Richard

Scott Hackler
06-11-2011, 7:07 PM
Richard,

I use a 50mm faceplate ring with my SN2, exclusively. For the longest time I had never removed the chuck and didn't want to, so I bought the ring. Works pretty well for me. I have had a pretty heavy blank on my Nova 1624 and as long as the expansion is done firmly, I dont see where there would be a problem. Now IF I start turning super large vessels I would probably want a threaded faceplate just to ensure that the piece COULDN'T slip out of the chuck jaws.

Scott

neil mackay
06-11-2011, 7:42 PM
Richard,I prefer face plate rings over face plates any day, simple and easy to operate along with the capacity to remove and replace when ever you require. In fact I have used them on my Longworth chucks as a simple method of mounting it on the lathe.
But the major benefit I think, is that they are far cheaper than faceplates and you can own several of them to ease what could be a choke point in tool useage.

Steve Mawson
06-11-2011, 9:23 PM
I have the ring you are talking about. Used it on several pieces, biggest probably about 10" in diameter. Has been working fine with the four screws in the ring. Easy and quick to put on and get in the chuck.

Steve Kubien
06-12-2011, 2:39 PM
I have used the rings with my SN2 and the #2 jaws. In my experience, they are fine fir smaller work but not for blanks in the 12" and up range. Faceplates offer a lot less vibration. Now, where I do like the rings is for things like donut chucks and funky jam chucks.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-12-2011, 3:47 PM
Faceplate rings for a SN2? I didn't know they existed. I've not used faceplates just because the faceplate that came with my lathe is way too big. You guys really know how to make me spend my money......