PDA

View Full Version : Redwood HF

Jim Burr
06-11-2011, 8:36 AM
This was a cute piece of Redwood that has been sitting around for 5-6 years. 4x2.5, 3/16" wall. 6 coats of Formby's Tung oil finish and 5 of gloss WoP. Since it's so shiny and my camera and/or I stink...it was hard to get a good picture. One side is loaded with fissures, the other with very nice quilting. Given that I usually do blobby forms due to a lack of imagination, I liked this one http://familywoodworking.org/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif.
C&C so I can fix future ones!

Cathy Schaewe
06-11-2011, 8:46 AM
What a beautiful piece. It's only a nit-pick, but I personally like the opening raised a little, if you're going to leave it without a lid. But that's really a matter of personal preference. And your finish is gorgeous!

Dennis Ford
06-11-2011, 9:00 AM
The bowl looks good, I suspect that it is much better in person as the high gloss finish is hard to see through in the picture.

John Keeton
06-11-2011, 9:25 AM
Very nice piece, Jim. Love the wood! On the pics, I think you either need to back up a little or set the macro setting (if any) on your camera. They are a little out of focus.

Baxter Smith
06-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Beautiful piece of wood and work Jim!

Steve Schlumpf
06-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Beautiful wood - very nice form! I agree with Cathy in that if the opening had a slightly raised lip - it would enhance the form. JMO.

In addition to John's suggestion of backing the camera away from the subject - I also suggest using indirect lighting. That will prevent/limit the hot spot on the left of the form. Glossy turnings are challenging - to say the least - and most of us have problems taking decent photos. Hopefully Jamie will step in with some advice on how to properly photograph high gloss turnings.

Steve bellinger
06-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Jim like has been said by me over younder. I think this is your best yet.:) Great job.

Toney Robertson
06-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Beautiful wood, nice form and it appears that it has a flawless finish on itl

Great job.

Roland Martin
06-11-2011, 1:42 PM
Nice form and outstanding wood and finish. Thanks for posting.

Michael James
06-11-2011, 1:57 PM
pretty and shiny... finial or no finial looks good from here! That's quite a finish there amigo!
mj

David E Keller
06-11-2011, 3:53 PM
Looks good to me! I love redwood, and this piece is really nice. Kudos!

Jim Burr
06-11-2011, 5:25 PM
Thanks for responding folks:D! All the C&C is 100% spot on. My foto skill are archaic and it shows. Steve, I use indirect lighting...but need more practice. John, Macro mode is on...I'm not up on the range for this camera. Cathy, I didn't lip the opening because I'm thinking of a finial for this one. As to the finish...many years ago I heard a comment on another turners piece and I quote "Dude...did your sandpaper break?"...no excuses anymore. I did 6 slimline pens at a church demo today that when finished with a skew, required no sanding at all. Not being a fan of gloss...this one didn't pop for me until it had a "taffy" finish on it. Just another thing to learn/remember:cool: As most of our stuff does...this one is much better in person. Another reason for good foto skills!;)

Jack Mincey
06-11-2011, 5:51 PM
Very beautiful HF. I have learned to love redwood turning the few pieces I got last fall. I'm sure that it looks even better in person.
Jack

Bob Bergstrom
06-11-2011, 6:03 PM
I'm no expert on hollow forms, but I like the opening flush with the surface. From the photo angle I can just see enough of the the dark inside of the bowl to entice me to look and want to put my finger in and feel it. Very well done, great finish and thanks for the "sneak peak".