PDA

View Full Version : Looking for bookshelf width and support info.

David Tiell
02-10-2005, 3:36 PM
I once saw a table in a woodworking magazine (for some reason I'm thinking it was WOOD Magazine, but not positive) that showed the recommended max width of a bookshelf based on the type of material and what types of support you might use to increase the weight capacity. I've got a friend who wants to build a 4' wide bookshelf out of oak plywood, and isn't too thrilled about the idea of either 1) making it narrower to reduce shelf sag, or 2) adding some sort of support such as a piece of solid oak running along the face. Any help in this would be appreciated. I've done some searching, but apparently not the right way.

Thanks,

Dave

George Grubaugh
02-10-2005, 3:40 PM
Here's a good first step.

http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm

Good luck!

David Tiell
02-10-2005, 4:17 PM
Thanks, George, that will indeed be a good start!

Dan Gill
02-10-2005, 4:38 PM
It was in Wood, and I believe it was early last year. But it might have been late 2003.

Joseph N. Myers
02-10-2005, 11:10 PM
Dave,

It was Wood, March of either 2003 or 2004 ---I have a xerox copy of the article which has the month and "200" of the date (and I found March of 00, 01 and 02, not 03 or 04).

It's not a bad article and it supports the "Cover Project" about building basically the same bookcase in three different styles. The shelve sag calculations are close to the web site that George gave you.

For 4' wide shelves, plywood and/or solid wood is recommended. Using oak plywood is fine but will need hardwood edging, 3/4 minimum, 1-1/2 overlap much better. (If you do the overlap, you can do the top and sides which will really add to both the look and strength of the bookcase).

I have the article which I can fax or send if you need it. And I'll find the magazine issue one of these days which has the article on building the bookcases.

BTW, the "1)" about making the shelve narrower to reduce sag is wrong - narrow = sag, wide = strength.

Regards, Joe