PDA

View Full Version : Fluted, pointed and pyro'd cedar

Scott Hackler
06-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Here is the 2nd fluted cedar bowl that I have done. This process is getting a little easier, as I learned a lot on the first one! One this one, I made the rim pointed following the flutes and then pyro'd the rim and the high parts of the flutes. I prefer "organic" lines and so the flutes were carved by eye with a light trace line to keep my place on the first few. 6" x 3" Finished with BLO and lacquer.

Comments and critiques welcome. Thanks.

PS the first picture out of the newly assembled, home made, photo tent. I need either brighter lights, more lights or different settings on the camera.

Sid Matheny
06-10-2011, 11:35 PM
Wow! What a super looking piece. A++

Sid

David DeCristoforo
06-10-2011, 11:41 PM
Great looking bowl, Scott. Very nice indeed! I especially like the dark lining on the ridges. Really makes it pop!

Baxter Smith
06-10-2011, 11:46 PM
Great job Scott. The pyro really highlights the fluting and is a great touch!

Ed Morgano
06-10-2011, 11:50 PM
That is really cool Scott. I'm not a carver so I can't judge but it realy looks like a lot of work to me. Nice job.

Steve Schlumpf
06-11-2011, 12:19 AM
WOW - what a great looking bowl! I really like the flutes - especially the way you have them extend beyond the rim of the bowl! Nice design idea with that! Also like the pyro work - helps highlight the raised ridge areas and contrasts nicely with the natural color of the cedar.

Seriously - very nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Ryan Baker
06-11-2011, 12:30 AM
Fantastic bowl, Scott. The cedar colors really work well with the flutes.

Jerry Marcantel
06-11-2011, 1:01 AM
Good looking bowl, Scott... I like your variety..... Jerry (in Tucson)

Ken Fitzgerald
06-11-2011, 1:16 AM
Scott....I'd like to say "Simply Beautiful!"....but it's not simple but it is beautiful!!! I really like the complimenting colors and the contrasting color provided by the pyro work. The flutes make it complex and yet it is so very fitting. I really, really like everything about this bowl! Nicely done sir!

Roger Chandler
06-11-2011, 6:04 AM
really nice, Scott...........somewhat innovative, and well thought out. Your execution on the fluting is first rate..........I like the whole concept, and of course who would not appreciate that pretty cedar............if one can keep it from cracking, then there are not many woods that have as striking a presence.

Are you going to do a series with this concept?

John Keeton
06-11-2011, 6:46 AM
Scott, the photo tent is a great addition for you! I think it could use perhaps a little more light, but overall, a very nice pic. Looks like you have some reflections from the flutes, but that would be near impossible to avoid with this form.

This bowl is a significant improvement over the first - very well done. I do like the variance in the flutes as it keeps the piece from looking machined. The proportions are very good, leaving the piece as a fine looking form with/without the flutes. So often, the emphasis on pieces like this is on the embellishment, and the form suffers - not so here.

I am not fully sold on the pyro work on the proud edges of the flute lines, but if you like it that is what is important. You should be proud of this piece!

Ted Calver
06-11-2011, 8:32 AM
Scott,
This is a winner!! The form, grain contrast, pyro'd edges and 'non-machined' flutes would make it a stand-out in any crowd. I was surprised when I looked back at the size....it looks bigger than it is...a sign of great design and execution. Good job!!

Jim Burr
06-11-2011, 8:39 AM
That took some patience! I like the grain of the wood in bias to the flutes. Really well done Scott!

Bernie Weishapl
06-11-2011, 8:42 AM
That is a great looking piece Scott. The carving looks good and the pyro really sets it off.

Cathy Schaewe
06-11-2011, 8:50 AM
Absolutely excellent! That is a piece to be proud of!

Dennis Ford
06-11-2011, 8:58 AM
This is a great piece of art. You did a fantastic job!

Robert McGowen
06-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Nicely done , Scott. Looks like you are getting this carving thing down to an art form!

Scott Hackler
06-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Thanks for all the comments. This type of form (or something like it) is something I will be exploring. I love forms with texture and visual interest, so this is a natural road for me. Plus it makes a decent difference on just another cedar bowl.

David E Keller
06-11-2011, 3:56 PM
Don't know how I missed this one, but it's a real looker! Love the flutes and the way you extended them. I love the darkening around the rim of the piece, but I'm not sure about the coloring along the ridges... I think I like that too. Great job!

charlie knighton
06-11-2011, 5:21 PM
nice bowl, like your flutes, nice photo

how bright of lights do you use, do you photo early morning, or at night????

Scott Hackler
06-11-2011, 5:37 PM
Charlie, I am just getting the photo tent thing ironed out. I have it set up in the basement with the only other light a 100w that is 20 feet away on the ceiling. The bulbs I bought are Reveal flood 45w or 60w and they aren't 1) the right color temp and 2) bright enough. A trip to Wat-Mart is going to result in some different bulbs. I really want to get this tent set up done. I am tired of having to tear done the posterboard everytime and getting so so results. I have a great camera so there isn't many excuses left! I am planning on taking new pictures of all the pieces I still have in my possession as a start to a memory/portfolio book.

Joe Adams
06-11-2011, 5:54 PM
Scott,

Great job!

I love eveything about this bowl.

How did you layout and carve the flutes?

Joe

Bob Bergstrom
06-11-2011, 5:54 PM
That is a wonderfully executed bowl. Great texture and I like the black pyro to set it off. You must have a light touch to burn that soft of wood and maintain a uniform penetration. I have used a Sharpie on it side and drug it along to simulate a burnt line, but you did it with the heat pen. Thanks for sharing and can't wait to see what is coming down the line.

Scott Hackler
06-11-2011, 6:35 PM
Scott,

Great job!

I love eveything about this bowl.

How did you layout and carve the flutes?

Joe

Joel, I turned the bowl to about 1/2" thick and sanded inside and out to 400 grit. Then using the tool rest as a stationary guide and the indexing feature of the headstock, I drew very light lines from the top of the bowl to the chuck. Next I used a piece of cardstock and drew a connecting line from the top of one line to the bottom of the previous line. This was done only 4-5 times because I didn't think, from the last fluted bowl, that I would be able to be that uniform. So the rest of the flutes were done freehand following the previous one as a guide. Of course the fluting was done on the lathe with the work held with the spindle lock.
For the actual carving, I use a die grinder with a 3/4" round sanding drum. 120grit seems to work decent on cedar with not too much damage to hand sand later. After fluting, I hand sanded the rotary marks out and worked up to 400 grit. Clear as mud, huh?

Joe Adams
06-11-2011, 7:39 PM
Thanks for the explanation. It actually makes good sense.

Wonderful work.

Harvey Ghesser
06-11-2011, 7:44 PM
Scott, that bowl is just beautiful! I love it!

Josh Bowman
06-11-2011, 9:53 PM
Scott, that looks wonderful. You're on to something......and really have a talent for it.

Kathy Marshall
06-12-2011, 3:30 AM
Beautiful bowl Scott! I think the fluting looks great and the wood too!

Philip Duffy
06-12-2011, 4:29 AM
Fantastic piece, Scott! Philip