PDA

View Full Version : Plumeria WIP

Jason Silva
06-10-2011, 8:52 PM
Thought i'd share a WIP piece with you. I spent 3 years in hawaii as a kid and have always enjoyed hibiscus and plumeria flowers. This is a bit of both. I have wanted to try one of these for a while now and now it has begun! Having fun so far but have yet to start the hours of sanding. Not much in the way of turning but it did start on the lathe so it counts.

20" x1 1/2 fairly figured redwood.

Michael James
06-10-2011, 8:54 PM
WOW! I wanna see that badboy lacquered up! :eek:
mj

David E Keller
06-10-2011, 9:30 PM
Looks great so far, and it's gonna really pop with some finish. I'd love to know some details about how you did the carving(tools, techniques, etc). Neat stuff!

John Keeton
06-10-2011, 9:46 PM
Jason, that is going to be an awesome piece!! I love the flow of it - sort of a pinwheel effect. I would think a power sander would sure make this task a lot quicker - hope you have one.

Jim Burr
06-10-2011, 9:55 PM
Great work to date Jason!! The redwood has a little bit of something in it...can't wait to see it pop!

Richard Madden
06-10-2011, 10:25 PM
That is very cool!! Please be sure and show us the finished piece.

Steve Schlumpf
06-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Impressive work! Really like the layout of the design and the 3D effect of the pedals! Looking forward to seeing this one completed!

Would be interested in finding out what you are using for carving tools. I know a lot of folks are thinking about getting into embellishing their turnings - but have no idea what tools to use.

Michelle Rich
06-11-2011, 8:20 AM
wow, that is huge..my last "flower" was 9 inches and it took a ton of time! I can't wait to see this when it's finished. it looks super now, so finished oughta blow our minds! I've used an angle grinder with special sanding disks , is that how you did this? And if I may ask, what is this to be when it's finished? Wall hanging? A table top?

Jason Silva
06-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Just a few notes on what i use to carve my pieces after im done with the lathe.

I use a proxxon angle grinder for most of the heavy work. Best little tool i own. I love this thing. I use a chain disk to do the rough out and a tungstun carbide course disk to smooth it out a bit. I'll follow it up with a couple flap sanders.

I use a foredom flex shaft carver for some of the detail work and tight spaces.

These are a few of the bits i use with the flex shaft.

Last but certainly not least...the miserable part...sand paper...lots and lots of sand paper. Dont forget the dust mask

This pice will end up as a wall hanging...or a frisbee if i get frustrated. Thanks for looking. Comments and critiques always welcome and appreciated.

Jason

Steve Schlumpf
06-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Thanks for showing all the carving tools! Looks like yet another part of the vortex! Looking forward to seeing this piece finished!

Baxter Smith
06-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Awesome looking now. I don't know what word will describe it when finished. Thanks for all the tool pictures as well!

charlie knighton
06-11-2011, 11:58 AM
looks great, you did plenty turning on it, thanks for the heads up with the tools and dust mask, do you take it outside under a tree in good weather??? thanks for sharing Jason

neil mackay
06-11-2011, 7:58 PM
Great stuff! I have thinking of doing something similar for awhile as well.

Jason Silva
06-12-2011, 12:11 PM
A few more pictures. Im starting to work on the fine tuning. Lots of little detail work and refinement. Oh yeah...the sanding begins.:(

John Hart
06-12-2011, 1:43 PM
Very impressive work...and equally impressive that you are sharing this with us. This will be an exceptional piece for sure. :)

Tim Rinehart
06-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Very nice Jason, I too can't wait to see this one finished...but it already looks like it will be a beauty.
LOML and I got married in Hawaii, and still have many mementos with the plumeria flower involved. Sadly, we didn't have much luck with the little plant, it didn't care for our traveling around a bit some years ago.:(

I second that 'second vortex' comment:eek:...I just bought a HF knockoff of a Foredom tool but wish I had a TX foredom, the high HP model as I understand, and really the best for wood. Would enjoy hearing your comments and thoughts on the TX vs their SR models.

The Proxxon seems like a nice tool for heavy hogging with the chainsaw "lancelot" tool...on my list too....but I can get by with less aggressive hogging while getting feel of removing material using the flexshaft tool and kutzall bits for now.

Great job and again, please keep us posted on the carving side of the turnings you do, as mentioned, this is a big area of interest as we all move outside the smooth edges of turning.:)

Jason Silva
06-15-2011, 4:14 PM
Just about done here. Ive sanded down to 320. Not sure if i will bother with 400 or not. The wood is so soft. Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Wiped down with mineral spirits to clean off the dust...plus i needed a sneek peek at the wood. I think the wood is going to look great with some laquer. Had a redwood finishing thread going and got some great advice from Jack Mincey on a tried and true redwood finish. Two coats of brushed on laquer...sand as needed, followed by multiple coats of sprayed on laquer, rubbing with steel wool between coats.

I will finish sanding the back tonight. Hopefully i will get a coat or two of laquer on before i hit the sack.

Jason Silva
06-15-2011, 4:23 PM
Tim,

I was wondering if i could get plumeria to grow here in Virginia...Does the climate not suit it?

Love the Foredom....dont have any experience with the different foredom models, just the one i have but it is a work horse. Glad i spent the money instead of toughing it out with my old dremel. I use a foot pedal...gives me great control. Some of the larger bits can vibrate so care must be taken during fine work.

The chainsaw tool is a great bit for the proxxon. I as well could get buy with a rough disk or rotary tool but it they create so much dust. The chainsaw disk slices of the wood and does it in a hurry.

By the way...who is this "Steve Shlumpf" person?:):):)...and why does everyone want to live near him;)

Tim Rinehart
06-15-2011, 4:35 PM
Tim,

I was wondering if i could get plumeria to grow here in Virginia...Does the climate not suit it?

Love the Foredom....dont have any experience with the different foredom models, just the one i have but it is a work horse. Glad i spent the money instead of toughing it out with my old dremel. I use a foot pedal...gives me great control. Some of the larger bits can vibrate so care must be taken during fine work.

The chainsaw tool is a great bit for the proxxon. I as well could get buy with a rough disk or rotary tool but it they create so much dust. The chainsaw disk slices of the wood and does it in a hurry.

By the way...who is this "Steve Shlumpf" person?:):):)...and why does everyone want to live near him;)
I think the issue with keeping the plant alive is more driven by care vs climate, as we were growing it indoors. Virginia should be fine if you give one it's due attention!
I think the Proxxon is definitely a next to have for some stuff I'd like to try, and hearing about dust reduction makes it an easier pill to swallow.
I think everyone pines to be up in Steve's part of country and to pick the turning side of his brain...at least this time of year!!

Tim Thiebaut
06-15-2011, 6:21 PM
Wow that looks amazing, thats going to look great on someones wall.

David E Keller
06-15-2011, 9:00 PM
She's coming along nicely! Looking forward to the finished shots, and I really appreciate the 'in progess' photos.

Bernie Weishapl
06-15-2011, 9:23 PM
That is a great looking piece. Can't wait to see it finished.