PDA

View Full Version : The saga continues...

David DeCristoforo
06-10-2011, 8:10 PM
OK, I admit it. I get carried away. It can be a problem. But then again it can lead to some fun too. And this should get the cops off my back for a while anyway.
197608 197610

197609 197607

The base is painted with "hammer finish" gray. All except the center panel/shelf which is getting covered with this stuff:

http://www.floormatcompany.com/fine-rib-48-inch-wide-corrugated-rubber-matting-p-31.aspx

So, now maybe I can get back to some turning...

Steve Campbell
06-10-2011, 8:28 PM
Now you have to wait a day or two for the paint to dry before you can turn. Looks great though.

Steve

Jake Helmboldt
06-10-2011, 8:29 PM
I want a red and gray lathe!

And it matches the new Glasers.

Marty Eargle
06-10-2011, 8:30 PM
That is a good looking lathe! It'll look much better under a foot and a half of wood shavings though.

Ted Calver
06-10-2011, 8:33 PM
Good job David !! It looks terrific.

Alan Zenreich
06-10-2011, 8:38 PM
Are you trying to color coordinate your lathe to the chisel handles? < vbg >

John Keeton
06-10-2011, 8:38 PM
WOW, David!!! I am impressed. You really made a difference in that lathe - looks brand, spankin' new! Nice work.

Harry Robinette
06-10-2011, 8:51 PM
WOW David, Paulo will be impressed .You have to be the only turner I ever saw with color coordinated tools to lathe.
Any way nice job of cleaning up and super job on the lathe it really does look new.

David DeCristoforo
06-10-2011, 9:00 PM
"...You have to be the only turner I ever saw with color coordinated tools to lathe..."

Well I think you might be right about the possible subliminal influence. But the lathe is a much darker red than the Glaser tool handles! I also replaced all of the screws, bolts, washers, etc, with stainless steel ones. I really wanted to just tear the whole thing down and "get funky" with evening out all of the rough spots in the cast iron. But I tore it down about a year and a half ago to put in new bearings and belts. I should have repainted it then but I was in too much of a hurry to get it back together and start using it. And this time I was not up for breaking it down again...

Tim Rinehart
06-10-2011, 9:11 PM
Hey, first Binh Pho did a custom paint job for the lathe giveaway for AAW Symposium this year...so maybe this is the start of a trend. Perhaps the next step is flames and fuzzy dice...
Instead of a 'cruise in', we could start a whole new craze ... a "turn in". nah...sounds too much like going to sleep.

Dick Wilson
06-10-2011, 9:15 PM
Must be Binh Ho is your mentor. Only two I know painting lathes these days.

David E Keller
06-10-2011, 9:24 PM
Looks great! I must admit slight disappointment that you didn't follow my suggestion to color fade from one color to the other as you've done on you recent pedestal stems. Careful that you don't post any other close ups of surroundlng tools, or JK and others may shame you into similar makeovers.

Josh Bowman
06-10-2011, 9:28 PM
Two words of improvement......racing strips

Roger Chandler
06-10-2011, 9:34 PM
Ah yes...............a little TLC.............now that tool knows you really care! Shore is purdy! :D:D:D

David DeCristoforo
06-10-2011, 9:40 PM
"... I must admit slight disappointment that you didn't follow my suggestion to color fade from one color to the other..."

Sorry about that. I was sorely tempted. But I did this paint job with rattle cans and I was not at all confident I could pull off a decent job of it. And I was afraid that if I hosed it I'd never hear the end of it from Roger...

Ed Morgano
06-10-2011, 10:42 PM
"... I must admit slight disappointment that you didn't follow my suggestion to color fade from one color to the other..."

Sorry about that. I was sorely tempted. But I did this paint job with rattle cans and I was not at all confident I could pull off a decent job of it. And I was afraid that if I hosed it I'd never hear the end of it from Roger...

David,
I thought I would be starting a trend with the wood grain finish that I used on my lathe but it doesn't seem to be catching on. Maybe yours will. Nice job.

Roger Chandler
06-10-2011, 10:45 PM

Hey............John Keeton started this song..........I just joined in singing the chorus! :D

Don't let the "chief" of the shop police off the hook David!

Baxter Smith
06-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Looks sharp! Matching toolholder?

Steve Schlumpf
06-10-2011, 10:51 PM
WOW - sure is amazing what a little color can do! Looks like quite the showpiece now!

David DeCristoforo
06-10-2011, 11:03 PM
"Looks like quite the showpiece now..."

Humm... well, yes... But wait until tomorrow. I was going to cover the center panel and shelf with rubber matting. But I got a better idea... truck bed liner! So in the morning I'm off to Kragen. It'll take all day to dry but I won't have any turning time till Sunday anyway. I blew the time I had this week with the cleanup and derustifacation. But man oh man, I can't wait to get some dust on this new paint job!

Jim Underwood
06-10-2011, 11:32 PM
Hey, first Binh Pho did a custom paint job for the lathe giveaway for AAW Symposium this year...so maybe this is the start of a trend. Perhaps the next step is flames and fuzzy dice...

I think the next thing should be to paint all mustard colored lathes any other color....:D

Nice job on the lathe David! It's looks great!

Sid Matheny
06-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Nice job, now if you added a hook and ladder it would look like a fire truck.:D

Sid

David DeCristoforo
06-10-2011, 11:44 PM
"...fire truck..."

Well I was thinking maybe a siren...

Rick Markham
06-11-2011, 2:43 PM
Now all it needs is a custom pin stripe... have you done any pinstriping? It sure looks fast! "Wanna run 'em?" lol

Tim Thiebaut
06-11-2011, 3:04 PM
Now that sure is purty...man a guy cleans is shop, paints his lathe nice and neat, and he gets all this grief over it...must have something to do with having your shop in a ballon....rrrrrrr I mean tent....LOL

Seriously though looks good DD.

ray hampton
06-11-2011, 5:53 PM
"...fire truck..."

Well I was thinking maybe a siren...
siren, do you mean a mermaid ?

Bob Bergstrom
06-11-2011, 5:57 PM
Add a little glitter and some candy color over the top and a few clear coats and what a great "lead sled" you would have. LOL.