PDA

View Full Version : Moving a solar kiln

Scott T Smith
06-10-2011, 7:28 PM
About a month ago a local woodworking friend of mine sent me a PM asking me if I had seen the posting on the Raleigh Craigslist for a free solar kiln. Nope, I hadn't seen it (the posting was about 2 hours old when I received his PM), so I checked out the listing and was intrigued. The solar kiln pictured was the standard Virginia Tech design (one of the best and most popular designs), and the posting didn't say much about it other than that it was free, tall (14' tall), and that it would be suitable as a solar kiln or perhaps a greenhouse, but that it may need to be cut down for transportation. The posting also stated that insurance would be required from whomever moved it.

I have been thinking about building some solar kilns to augment my existing dehumidification kiln for my quartersawn oak business, and to dedicate at least one of them for drying 8/4 quartersawn oak (it takes almost 4 months to kiln dry 8/4 oak). So the opportunity to get a jump start on this project was of real interest.

No phone number was listed in the posting, just the standard response via Craigslist, so I fired off a short response indicating my interest. A couple of days go by with no response, so I sent another e-mail response but from a different e-mail address, thinking that maybe my first mail was blocked by a spam filter or something. In my second mail, I kept it simple and stated my interest, the fact that I had the equipment necessary to move it, and that I could provide the required certificates of insurance.

The next day I receive a phone call from one of the asset managers at SAS, a large corporation based in Cary. Turns out that they built a new building a year or so ago, and wanted it to be LEEDS certified. So they recycled a lot of the timber from the building site into wood for interior use, and built the solar kiln to dry it. Since the project was complete, they no longer needed the kiln and wanted it to go to a good home (they had previously offered it to a museum, NC state University, and another sawmill but to no avail). Hence the craigslist posting before they sent it to the dump.

Their contact told me that they had received over 100 responses to their posting! Fortunately for me, nobody else could move it.... so he told me that it was mine if I wanted it.

I went down to look at it, and this is what I found:

Of the two VA Tech designs, this was the larger model (about 18' long), and originally designed for about 1,600 - 2000 bd ft of 4/4 oak. SAS had tacked on an addition to one end in order to accommodate the lengths of their lumber.

During the next few weeks I provided the requested insurance certificates, and waited for their Risk Management folks to draft up a legal agreement between us. I also spent some time figuring out how best to move the kiln. Last week we signed all of the agreements, this past Tuesday I stopped by NCDMV to pick up an oversize load permit and yesterday we arrived on site bright and early to prep the kiln for moving and to load it.

Because of the height (turned out that it was 12' 6" overall), I could not load it upright onto my trailer, as it would be too tall to fit underneath the highway overpasses (the peak would have been 15' above grade). So my plan was to brace it internally, bolt some skids to one side, and then pivot it onto my trailer by hinging the skids to one side of the trailer.

We took the backhoe from the farm with us in order to handle the loading.

Here we are arriving at the SAS campus, preparing to unload the backhoe:

After unloading, we removed the extension scabbed onto the end, and installed the temporary internal bracing.

The next step was to install the 6 x 6 skids on the door side, and to install some plates across the top of the skids so that the backhoe forks could support the side of the building:

Next step was to measure and determine our hinge location, so that the kiln would be properly centered on the trailer after we pivoted it over. Because the center of gravity was not equidistant to each side, I opted to stagger the kiln about a foot to one side of the trailer in order to achieve a more balanced load. After measuring and installing the hinges, we jacked up the side of the kiln so that we could place the trailer right up against it, and then lower the hinge pins into the rub rail of the trailer:

After I positioned the front of the trailer against the skids, I took the backhoe and picked up / skidded the back end of the trailer up against the opposite end of the kiln, and we lowered the hinges into position.

The next step was to attach a safety chain to the backhoe fork carriage, along with a come-a-long, and raise the forks up to the top of the building. The plan was to start pivoting the kiln onto the trailer by using the come-a-long, until we had the top plate where it would intersect the first foot of the forks. This would give us ample clearance for the fork carriage not to damage the roof as we pivoted the kiln over. It worked perfectly (and I'm still surprised!).

Starting the pivot with the come-a-long:

Continuing the pivot by using the forks:

Attached to the trailer and ready to depart:

Instead of strapping the kiln to the trailer and risking damaging it, we lag bolted timbers directly to the trailer deck and then lag bolted the timbers to the skids. Worked like a champ!

Continued on Part 2....

Scott T Smith
06-10-2011, 7:44 PM
Continued from Part I

After an uneventful trip back to the farm yesterday afternoon (and a good nights rest), this morning I used a 25 ton crane to unloaded the kiln, basically reversing the pivot and hinging it back over the side and onto the ground. We had placed steel chokers on the ground before pivoting it off the trailer, so all we had to do was hook them up and get everything balanced:

Next step was to pick it and swing it over to the foundation that we built earlier this week. This is an interesting photo that I took through the cab on the crane as I was swinging the building over:

[/URL]

At the end of the day today, it looked like this:

(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=197603&d=1307748617)197624

We still need to rebuild the far end where we removed the addition, rework the internal baffles and fan system, as well as re-seal the entire unit and install another layer of translucent panels. We also need to run a buried electric circuit from the barn over to it to power the fans. However the hard part is over.

Many, many thanks to my customer and good friend Salem for taking the time (and being kind enough) to inform me about this great opportunity, to the great team at SAS (who could not have been nicer to work with) for their commitment to recycle the unit instead of simply discarding it!

Scott

[URL="http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=197606&d=1307748831"] (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=197605&d=1307748765)
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Jamie Buxton
06-10-2011, 8:56 PM
Really interesting post. However, the pics in the second post don't appear for me. I just get those red X's.

Scott T Smith
06-10-2011, 9:11 PM
Really interesting post. However, the pics in the second post don't appear for me. I just get those red X's.

Jamie, I just reloaded the pix, hopefully that will fix the problem.

David Keller NC
06-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Impressive move, Scott. A suggestion - since the air in a solar kiln like this doesn't need to be moved really rapidly, just enough to keep it from temperature stratifying, have you considered the idea of a small solar panel and a low-voltage fan? (might be quite a bit simpler than running power out to it).

David Nelson1
06-11-2011, 6:47 AM
I thought I could sling some stuff on a trailer!!!!!! That will be a great addition Scott.

Chris Damm
06-11-2011, 8:08 AM
Looking good! It sure is nice to have the right tools for the job.
As to using a solar panel to run the fans, it might work in your area but a friend of mine tried it here near Lake Michigan and we get too much cloud cover for it to be effective.

Scott T Smith
06-11-2011, 8:59 PM
Impressive move, Scott. A suggestion - since the air in a solar kiln like this doesn't need to be moved really rapidly, just enough to keep it from temperature stratifying, have you considered the idea of a small solar panel and a low-voltage fan? (might be quite a bit simpler than running power out to it).

Thanks David. I considered using a solar panel, but in addition to them being somewhat marginal for the kiln fans if I bury some UF to it I can use the same circuit to keep a trickle charger on my trailer batteries (for the winch and hydraulic system batteries). I've been running an extension cord over from the barn to the trailer, so this would eliminate the cord and be a more permanent solution.

On a side note, how's the Roubo workbench project coming?

Mike Wilkins
06-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Nice addition to the farm. Great to have the right equipment to move such a structure; even better to save it from the landfill. Hope to make a trip to your facility one day to get some of that oak. Mike.

Bill ThompsonNM
06-12-2011, 1:41 PM
Great Story! Impressive move, kudos for pulling it off and saving it from the dump!

Scott T Smith
06-12-2011, 2:49 PM
Nice addition to the farm. Great to have the right equipment to move such a structure; even better to save it from the landfill. Hope to make a trip to your facility one day to get some of that oak. Mike.

Thanks Mike. Tools and equipment are a real enabler; it's nice to have them available. I designed that trailer in 2005 and had it built to my specs, and it has really been a tremendous asset for my operation.

You're welcome at any time re the oak!

Larry Edgerton
06-13-2011, 7:22 AM
Very cool Scott...

And I have to say as meany tools as I own, with you I have equipment envy. I would like to play at your house!

Larry

Bas Pluim
06-13-2011, 8:51 AM
Very cool Scott...

And I have to say as meany tools as I own, with you I have equipment envy. I would like to play at your house!

Larry
Scott's place is like an amusement park, there's always something fun to do. As for equipment envy...most of the stuff doesn't fit in normal people's shops :-)

Scott T Smith
06-13-2011, 1:01 PM
Thanks guys.

Larry, in the interests of full disclosure... the crane isn't mine... There is a railroad museum near my farm and it belongs to them. Over the years I've used a lot of my equipment to do volunteer work for them, and they reciprocate by letting me borrow their crane whenever I need it. It's a handy tool, and comes in useful when I need to offload really large logs, etc.

Bob Riefer
06-13-2011, 2:09 PM
Wow, that was really neat to read. I honestly wouldn't have had any idea where to start, you made it look easy!

David Keller NC
06-14-2011, 2:43 PM
On a side note, how's the Roubo workbench project coming?

Hmm - Still "drying the slab" :D

(for those of you not in the know, that's an inside joke - Scott's big junk of post oak that we cut up for workbench slabs was plenty dry when it was cut).

Scott T Smith
06-14-2011, 7:07 PM
Actually it was a water oak but who's counting?!

Let me know if you need some legs for that bench. I've got some 10" x 10" oak posts stashed away that would make some commendable legs! Also have some 8" x 8".

Hmm - Still "drying the slab" :D

(for those of you not in the know, that's an inside joke - Scott's big junk of post oak that we cut up for workbench slabs was plenty dry when it was cut).

David Keller NC
06-19-2011, 8:44 AM
Hmm - I might well consider that. The tornado that came through Raleigh caused a lot of dmage and heartbreak for the folks that it affected, but it also offered a dual opportunity for us woodworkers equipped with big chainsaws - a chance to help out folks without the skill, tools or money to get their property cleaned up, and more free white/red oak than could be saved from the mulch chipper. I've accumulated a decent stash of "old school" split red oak for things like chair parts and possibly benches, but it's green and will be several years before it's dried sufficiently to make into benches/shaving horses.

You might have a better offer - "ready to go" for us impatient types. :D

Scott T Smith
06-19-2011, 7:08 PM
Hmm
You might have a better offer - "ready to go" for us impatient types. :D

Not to mention that I can S4S the legs for you....