PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an air compressor

Matt Hutchinson
06-10-2011, 5:15 PM
I went to go buy a Porter Cable air compressor only to find out that PC sold them to another company, MAT. Not happy, and a little surprised.

So does anyone have recommendations for something in the 16-20 gallon range? I will mostly be using it for finish nailers, brad nailers, and spraying dust off my work.

Thanks!

Hutch

Neil Brooks
06-10-2011, 5:51 PM
I've been *perfectly happy* with my Craftsman. Had it about 15 months, now, and use it all the time.

It's this one.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10165_26151_00916763000P

A tiny bit bigger capacity than you asked about, but ... hey ... more IS better ;)

I don't think it's discontinued. If interested ... just call your local store, and ask them about it.

frank shic
06-10-2011, 6:10 PM
started with a PC pancake and moved on to the small thomas when i couldn't stand the noise any more.

Mike Nguyen
06-10-2011, 7:00 PM
I went to go buy a Porter Cable air compressor only to find out that PC sold them to another company, MAT. Not happy, and a little surprised.

So does anyone have recommendations for something in the 16-20 gallon range? I will mostly be using it for finish nailers, brad nailers, and spraying dust off my work.

Thanks!

Hutch
I just picked up a Dewalt D55146 from Home Depot. Few weeks ago everyone has it for about $350. Last week I saw it at Home Depot for $300 and with a HF 20% coupon I paid $240 today. The is the 1.8 HP 200 PSI compressor.

Bruce Wrenn
06-10-2011, 8:35 PM
PC never made those compressors in the first place. DeVilbiss (also owned by Pentair at the time) made them. Pentair sold all of their woodworking tool lines (Delta, PC, Devilbiss, Biesemeyer, Oldham) to B&D several years ago

Jerome Hanby
06-10-2011, 10:25 PM
If you don't need specific CFM for some tool or sprayer, I'd buy one off Craigslist. Around here there are always compressors for sale. The "good" ones have hefty price tags, "normal" compressors are pretty cheap. Quick look and I see about 20 locally between $100 and $200 bucks...

Don Morris
06-11-2011, 12:54 AM
I've had a craftsman 20gal 2hp 220v for over 25+ years. Have used it for just what you said you want it for plus a few other jobs like painting one '71 VW superbug. Had it serviced once by Sears because I didn't use it for a couple years when the military sent me overseas. So far, it's been bullet proof. I check the oil once a year or when I think of it. I mounted my Rapid Reel hose reel on top of it for convenience. The newer models I've seen are mostly 120v.

Matt Hutchinson
06-11-2011, 8:07 AM
What do y'all think about Harbor Freight's compressors? I generally don't even consider buying their power tools, but the compressors look decent. (There is an HF store in town.) Any opinions?

Hutch

Dave Lehnert
06-11-2011, 2:33 PM
LIke one of the post above I have had a Craftsman for 25 years. Runs off of 240. Next one will run off of 120.
If I was going to replace, I would look at this from Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/Husky/h_d1/N-5yc1vZrd/R-100063473/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Ken Garlock
06-11-2011, 3:50 PM
Greetings Matt. First off, do not get an oil-less compressor. From everything I have heard, they are really noisy.

Several years ago I bought an Ingersoll Rand 5 hp compressor through Northern Tool. They are just a vendor for IR, the actual compressor is shipped from the IR factory and it is free shipping to your door.

Take a look at the different models at Northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_air-compressors+electric-powered-air-compressors+ingersoll-rand

Joe Angrisani
06-11-2011, 7:32 PM
....First off, do not get an oil-less compressor. From everything I have heard, they are really noisy. Several years ago I bought an Ingersoll Rand 5 hp compressor....

If you don't need specific CFM for some tool or sprayer, I'd buy one off Craigslist. Around here there are always compressors for sale. The "good" ones have hefty price tags, "normal" compressors are pretty cheap. Quick look and I see about 20 locally between $100 and $200 bucks...

There's nothing like a "real" compressor, Matt, but I think what Ken is suggesting is extreme overkill for what you listed as needs. I'm with Jerome. Craigslist is loaded with compressors, and you should be able to find a 'low-miles' larger 5hp/20gal oil-less compressor for $150 or less.

Bruce Wrenn
06-11-2011, 7:45 PM
There's nothing like a "real" compressor you should be able to find a 'low-miles' larger 5hp/20gal oil-less compressor for $150 or less.5 HP oil less and runs on 110 no less. Stick with a 220 machine if possible. Here on CL in the last three weeks have been two 2.0 HP/ 20 gallon Sears for less than $100 each. I had one of mine since 1984, without any problems. Change the oil twice annually and drain the tank when I think about it. Sanborn made mine for Sears.

Craig Michael
06-11-2011, 9:31 PM
I have this IR http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200375221_200375221 and it's a nice compressor. To get the quality of an IR for $500, that is a great value. If you want 220, more CFM and lose the portable tank go with this one. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_158284_158284

I don't mind a oil less for a portable compressor for carpentry, etc. since I stick it around the corner of the house, in a closet, etc. but I really do not like them for a shop. Oil compressors are quiet, you can talk next to them when they are running, oil less sound like mini jackhammers. They are very noisy. Oil less also will not last as long as a maintained oil lube compressor. How long they last are dependent on a number of things including total use and type of use. Pay attention to CFM's, not horsepower that is the output of air. Also pay attention to whether a compressor is rated for continuous duty. Most oil less are not rated for continuous duty.

John TenEyck
06-11-2011, 9:39 PM
For your stated needs nearly any compressor will work. You don't need much CFM to run a nailer. If you have any notion of spraying finishes then the equation changes dramatically. I have a big stationary compressor for spraying, but for running nailers I use a little 3 gal hotdog compressor that I bought on sales at Sears for just over $100. I use it both in the shop and when I go do an install job. Portability is a nice feature even just around the house.

Matt Hutchinson
06-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks all!

Besides just using a few nailguns from time to time, I want to be able to spray away the chips from inside vase forms that I turn. I know that a small oilless would have to kick on a few times during the whole process, and I hate how loud they are, but it's hard to justify springing for a nicer one. Maybe I will keep an eye on CL for a while, but I am always concerned about paying $100 on a seemingly great deal only to find out it wasn't taken care of properly. I guess I will play it by ear.

Hutch

John McClanahan
06-12-2011, 1:02 PM
I bought a Craftsman oilless off of craigslist for $80. Iy is a 30 gal. upright on wheels. It wasn't cared for and the cylinder was scored. As it turns out, Sears sells a rebuild kit for it for $42. With less than an hour of work, I have basically a new compressor for $125. Do keep in mind the oilless models make more noise than the oil type.

John

Myk Rian
06-12-2011, 1:10 PM
What do y'all think about Harbor Freight's compressors? I generally don't even consider buying their power tools, but the compressors look decent. (There is an HF store in town.) Any opinions?

Hutch
I have the 21 gal. 3hp 230 volt model. When using it for media blasting my RAS it melted the head/valve gaskets. I made new ones and it works better than new now. Only cost me $130 at the time.
It's a bit noisy but works good.

It looks like this one.
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_10097.jpg

Chris Fournier
06-12-2011, 1:53 PM
I've had an IR 3hp 110v 30 gallon oiless which is noisy I admit for 20 years now. It has seen a lot of use and some abuse and it has been flawless. Unless you need alot of compressor don't buy a beast. This small IR is noisier than my 7.5 Hp 80 gallon "real" shop compressor I will admit. I can carry it to a job site though...

John Coloccia
06-12-2011, 2:03 PM
I have the Dewalt D55168. It is oil-less but is relatively quite. Not at all like that high pitched buzz that comes from most oil-less compressors. Prior to this, I had a 5HP, 60gal that I loved but it was serious overkill for my shop, and the tank had rusted out in storage anyway. The D55168 does everything I ask it to do, including run die grinders and drills. It's a great shop compressor that can also be tasked to roll around and go somewhere if necessary.

Paul McGaha
06-12-2011, 5:01 PM
Mine was from Graingers, A Speedaire.

Bought it about 1992.

Not the 1st problem with it ever.

It's quiet, 120 Volt (might can run it on 220 Volt also ??), 20 Gallon Tank.

When it goes I'll probably get another one as close to it as I can.

Greg Bender
06-12-2011, 5:16 PM
Matt,
first of all the disclaimer,I work in the R&D lab at IR so I'm biased .As far as the HF stuff goes,it is built to the bare minimum and there motors are built to minimum standards.A compressor puts a motor to the maximum as long as it has power to it. It is always under load so a underrated motor is not gonna last if it is used the way a compressor should be used. The more it cycles the less of a chance that moisture will build up in the tank. Buy a pump with oil,keep it clean and if you want quiet then find an older one that was built before everybody downsized there pump sizes and started running 3500 rpm motors to make up the difference in performance.The older units with the big cylinders had 1740 rpm motors and with a little baffling were very quiet.I ran a test with 5 each 30 cfm,7.5 hp units that were twin screw rotary's and was able to lean against the middle unit and talk on my cell phone while they ran under constant full load at 100 psi. $2800 to $3000 each so none of us will have one any time soon but where the profit is ,the technology still exist's.
Good Luck,
Greg

Matt Day
06-13-2011, 9:01 AM
I used to havea HF vertical 21 gal (??) compressor and it did was it was supposed to, though very noisily. I sold it for about what I bought it for when I moved. HF is a great source of inexpensive air tools and fittings by the way.

I bought a used 25 gallon Cambel Hausfeld for about $200 a year ago. It's oiled, belt driven and I like it a lot - much quieter and it's a workhorse.

I'd also suggest one of the Makita MAC series compressors. They get great reviews and are very quiet. I bought one for my Dad who has similar uses to you - nail guns and general uses like cleaning, but no veneering or spraying.

Good luck!