PDA

View Full Version : Engraving hard liquor bottle with liquor in bottle ?

Kasey Maxwell
06-10-2011, 4:28 PM
Is it just a good rule of thumb if a customer brings a full bottle of Jack (yum) over and wants me to engrave on it to drain out the Jack 1st ? I could only imagine if you engraved on a full bottle of Jack and the glass broke from the laser then the flammable liquid inside would catch fire ? ? True ? :D :confused:

Thank you

shawn zumbrum
06-10-2011, 4:34 PM
Kasey
dont think jack is flammable 151 and grain is.

Kasey Maxwell
06-10-2011, 4:39 PM
so its safe to do this job ? its Gentleman's Jack 80 proof, I just wasn't sure.........

Chris DeGerolamo
06-10-2011, 5:04 PM
It will not light because of the proof, not that it would ever get that hot on the inside anyway.

Etch it and admire your work - the bottle will be fine.

Kasey Maxwell
06-10-2011, 5:19 PM
Awesome thing to know.........Thank you very much, all I could think of was this --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=133106&d=1258598668

Dan Hintz
06-10-2011, 5:23 PM
The laser itself will not ignite flammable liquids... at best, you'll heat something else up enough to ignite vapors, but this is only really a concern for extremely volatile substances (e.g., gasoline).

George M. Perzel
06-10-2011, 7:34 PM
I would tell them that I am compelled by OSHA, under law, to replace the liquid with non-flammable tea prior to lasering and the replced fluid was comsumed by the process.... or processor.
Best Regards;
George
Laserarts

Dave Gates
06-11-2011, 10:17 AM
I've never had any problems with liquor catching fire in the laser. I just run it with normal glass settings and never had any issues.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1214/5168027204_da6c5eebdc.jpg

Neil Pabia
06-11-2011, 3:39 PM
Crack open a bottle, drink the contents and then rethink the question. Sort of explains my sobriety...LOL

Bill Cunningham
06-11-2011, 8:52 PM
I've done lots of bottles, full and empty, never had problem with any of them.. I think the only piece of glass I have ever had crack in the laser was a globe from a oil lamp (quite thin, and back in my newbe experimental days). I was etching a wolf face in the surface, and way over powered it. Any bottle I've seen was probably 10 times thicker.. I have done glass Christmas balls (paper thin glass) without cracking.. A bottle is not going to crack in your laser, full or empty..

Kasey Maxwell
06-12-2011, 5:36 PM
[QUOTE=I have done glass Christmas balls (paper thin glass) without cracking.. A bottle is not going to crack in your laser, full or empty..[/QUOTE]

how did you engrave a round object like christmas balls? was it with the rotary attachment ?

Thanks

Terry Swift
06-14-2011, 7:12 PM
Kasey,

Rotary works best for going over a certain area of the diameter of the cylinder / ball. If you keep things simple and small - a rotary is not exactly necessary; but NICE to have. I've done baseball bats and other cylindrical items without a rotary and kept the pattern small and it works. You just have to figure in high and low points and your focal length (I have 2", so it works okay).

Carrol Fleming
06-15-2011, 3:11 AM
I have just engraved two bottles of whiskey and painstakingly highlighted the engraving with gold rub n buff. The bottles were donated by my husbands company as prizes for a fund raising golf day. Good advertising I thought. Guess who won the whiskey .... my husband and brother-in-law!!! No chance my husband was going to re-donate good whiskey - if it comes back, it is yours he claims!!!

Gary and Jessica Houghton
06-15-2011, 5:59 PM
I would tell them that I am compelled by OSHA, under law, to replace the liquid with non-flammable tea prior to lasering and the replced fluid was comsumed by the process.... or processor.
Best Regards;
George
Laserarts

HAhahahaha!!!! I love the way you think!