PDA

View Full Version : Miniatures, OT

Richard Jones
06-10-2011, 3:59 PM
OK, so it's not turning, but I thought I would share this as it's just so cool. This is Tic and Tac (no offense to NPR), 3 day old ruby-throated hummingbirds that are nesting near my back door. Mama turned a nest of lichen and197572 spider webs, maybe this will give someone an idea to use in their work.

I love hummers, usually have around 50 or so, feed somewhere in the neighborhood of 12-16 cups of nectar a day after the first hatch. Folks at the grocery store ask me if I'm making moonshine when I get to the register with all that sugar..................

Have a great weekend, and I hope that Mother Nature will inspire your turnings.............

Rich

Cory Norgart
06-10-2011, 4:03 PM
Pretty cool Richard. We love hummingbirds here too. Tho I have never seen a nest. We have alot coming to the feeders tho. I will have to try and keep my eyes open for a nest. Very interesting.

David E Keller
06-10-2011, 6:03 PM
That's interesting. I like hummingbirds, but I had no idea they were do pitiful looking when they were little... They're so ugly that they're cute.

Steve Schlumpf
06-10-2011, 7:44 PM
Thanks for sharing! Had a hummingbird for a pet once - a long time ago! Thanks for activating some great memories! Have a few hummingbirds around our place this year - including one female that allows me to get within 2' of her. They are incredible animals and a lot more intelligent than folks give them credit for!

Ted Calver
06-10-2011, 8:37 PM
Rich,
We love the hummers here too. Great camo job on the nest.

Ed Morgano
06-10-2011, 10:35 PM
We love them too. I've always wondered where they built their nests because I've never seen one. Now I know why. Had know idea they were THAT small. WOW.