PDA

View Full Version : Lost a carbide tip on my new Freud glue line rip blade

dennis thompson
06-10-2011, 3:26 PM
So I'm getting ready for a cut, I start the saw & see sparks coming out from the front of my new Freud blade. Turns out one of the carbide tips came off (right at the weld) & wedged in my ZCI & the blade was hitting the broken tooth. I called Freud & they said send it back & we'll replace it, good service,as you would expect. Still, while I know Freud makes a high quality blade , I've never lost a tip from my Forrest WWII blades.(And I've used them a lot more)
Dennis

John TenEyck
06-10-2011, 3:36 PM
Never had that one happen, but I've always thought about what might happen if it did which is one reason why I always wear safety glasses in the shop. Glad to hear it didn't hit you.

Larry Fox
06-10-2011, 3:38 PM
I have never heard of anyone loosing one from a Freud blade either. I would just send it back and chalk it up to "one of those things" until there seems to be a pattern. While you see it more in lower tier brands - even the top-tier manufacturers let a bum unit out at some point. Good part of this is that they stood behind it no questions asked.

Bobby O'Neal
06-10-2011, 3:46 PM
Gotta love that service. Maybe that blade went out on a friday afternoon.

Bruce Wrenn
06-10-2011, 8:38 PM
So I'm getting ready for a cut, I start the saw & see sparks coming out from the front of my new Freud blade. Turns out one of the carbide tips came off (right at the weld) & wedged in my ZCI & the blade was hitting the broken tooth. I called Freud & they said send it back & we'll replace it, good service,as you would expect. Still, while I know Freud makes a high quality blade , I've never lost a tip from my Forrest WWII blades.(And I've used them a lot more)
DennisExactly the opposite of my experience. WWII lost five teeth when it hit one of those staples that hold a SKU tag on. Using other blades, I usually just saw through them, but not with a WWII.

scott spencer
06-10-2011, 9:35 PM
It can and does happen to all brands sooner or later. I wouldn't read more into it than it is...an isolated incident.

Rod Sheridan
06-10-2011, 10:13 PM
It can and does happen to all brands sooner or later. I wouldn't read more into it than it is...an isolated incident.

Au contaire!

I think it's some sort of a conspiracy.

This evening my brand new FS Tools rip blade shed a tooth.

It has to be a conspiracy or contagious or a Government plot. It absolutely had nothing to do with the #12 screw buried in the wood.................DOH!!!

Regards, Rod

glenn bradley
06-11-2011, 1:19 AM
As others have said, this is a rare occurance with any vendor and could happen to any vendor. I'd run out and play the lottery. You have been chosen ;-)

Dave Lehnert
06-11-2011, 2:39 PM
What happens if you put that tooth under your pillow ? May be a way to earn a few bucks :-)

Chris Fournier
06-11-2011, 8:44 PM
I've had this happen once when no other metal in wood was involved. It was a Freud blade as a matter of fact. Pure coincidence that it was a Freud blade I'm sure and perhaps I did something earlier to prompt the carbide departure like mishandling the blade. I got hit by the carbide tooth in the shoulder. I now try to stay out of the blades path religiously.

My blade supplier brazed on a new tooth for peanuts.