PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder Burl Vase, NE

Tim Rinehart
06-10-2011, 2:21 PM
If any of you don't know it by now...I really like box elder, especially box elder burl.
I would have to say it's my current favorite. Unfortunately, the stuff doesn't just grow on trees...well, what I mean to say is that it must not grow on alot of trees, as it seems difficult to get ahold of at times with any decent size and not require taking a loan out as one might have to for some of the more exotic burls.

In a continuation of photo catch-ups...:cool:
This natural edge piece was turned a couple months ago to pretty consistent 3/16" thickness, and not too small a base, so it's stable. The piece was a bit disappointing when I got it, with a huge check in it and I had to cut about 3" or so away that was just unusable. After cutting the piece I still had major checking, and so I decided to fill it in with some black dyed epoxy (took quite a bit) to stabilize it and provide some contrast and hopefully save it from a burn pile. What's remaining of some of that fill is at the base on one side. Most people look at it and think it's a bark inclusion that I've just finished very finely...but don't tell. I think the piece would have flown apart :eek: , had I not stabilized it first.
The piece stands about 8" tall and about 5" diameter at widest. Finish is a couple coats of wipe on lacquer and knocked down to flat finish. Haven't decided on buffing or not, though I suspect it would help the figure in the burl pop.

Thanks for looking, C&C welcome.

Cory Norgart
06-10-2011, 4:06 PM
Wow, that is very nice. Love the natural edge.

David DeCristoforo
06-10-2011, 4:10 PM
Now that's just very cool. It looks like the top got blown off! It's just very cool...

Brian McInturff
06-10-2011, 4:10 PM
Tim,
Very nice piece. I thought that was a void at the base until I read the write up. The form is very pleasing and I like the dimensions of the base to the top opening. BE is one of my favorites too. If I could just get a little more shop time...

Dick Wilson
06-10-2011, 4:14 PM
Beautiful vase. I am partial to box elder as well. The more color the better

John Keeton
06-10-2011, 4:16 PM
Tim, this is a very nice piece! I really like the top, and on this piece, I much prefer a little more open entry as you have rather than a shorter piece with a more closed entry. The wood is beautiful, and you are right - BE burl is scarce. Were it me, I would finish it on out with satin WOP and buff. Seems the more gloss look really makes the burl figure pop, but that is just my opinion. It looks great as is.

Harvey Ghesser
06-10-2011, 4:28 PM
That's just beautiful!

Jim Burr
06-10-2011, 4:32 PM
Super job Tim!! Nice balance between the top and base. Good long curve and the finish looks good!

Steve Schlumpf
06-10-2011, 4:36 PM
Very nice vase Tim! Pretty wood - for sure - especially the natural edge area but I really like the form! Nice proportions - I like the size of the foot!

Toney Robertson
06-10-2011, 5:52 PM
Great job on a pretty difficult looking piece of wood.

I think the form is spot on and the natural edge seals the deal.

David E Keller
06-10-2011, 5:54 PM
Beautiful piece, Tim. I love BEB too, but I've never seen a chunk big enough to turn something that size... You lucky dog!

My only nit would be that you got a few tool lines near the opening it seems... Doesn't change the fact that it's a sweet looking piece!

charlie knighton
06-10-2011, 8:18 PM
very nice, thanks for sharing

Michael James
06-10-2011, 8:58 PM
That's a sweet piece! thanks for sharing....
mj

Baxter Smith
06-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Nice job Tim. The wood and form is very attractive!

Scott Hackler
06-11-2011, 12:12 AM
Really nice Tim. I just love box elder. I have a mess of it but not darn burl! Some people have all the luck. :)

Michelle Rich
06-11-2011, 8:08 AM
all the work was worth it..well done!

Bernie Weishapl
06-11-2011, 8:30 AM
Tim that is one nice looking piece. Form looks good and is well balanced.