PDA

View Full Version : New Workbench Project From Recycled Materials

Joe Scislowicz
06-10-2011, 11:06 AM
This is my first post to the forum. I wanted to share my new workbench. It has 1 1/2" top, two Harbor Freight 9" workworking vices and was done wtih salvaged materials form three sources. I used a couple of different plans to get what I wanted. Wheels were essential as shop space, as al\ways is limited. I am rebuilding my table saw lay out and wanted to make sure I had a movable workbench to serve as an outfeed table. Let me know what you think.

Joe

Bobby O'Neal
06-11-2011, 7:13 AM
that looks pretty good. Do you think the casters will sacrifice some of the rigidity of your bench? If so would a dedicated mobile base do the trick? Just a thought. Really looks good though. What are your materials?

Matt Evans
06-11-2011, 10:47 AM
That bench puts mine to shame. . .

Looks good... In my experience, Casters are nice for mobility, but do sacrifice a little on stability. the mobile tools I have had generally get chocked with rubber wedges to help with that a little. (old tire sidewalls work great for that if you can avoid the steel belting)

Tom Winship
06-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Beautiful workbench. I would be interested in your take on the stability also. I built a rollabout station for a Dewalt 735 Planer earlier this week. It is 30" tall and I was concerned about whether it would want to turn over or not (the top is only 24x18). The planer weighs 92# and makes it very stable.
Hopefully the weight of the tabletop will make yours stable also.

Jason Strauss
06-13-2011, 11:36 AM
Nice work, Joe, and welcome! My bench is similar, but with a slightly thinner and larger top.

Michael Weber
06-13-2011, 1:48 PM
Darn good looking. Nice job

Jerry Olexa
06-17-2011, 1:14 PM
Very nice results but I would be concerned about movement/stability as you use it with the wheels...