PDA

View Full Version : Web Site Hosting Question

Michael McCoy
02-10-2005, 1:47 PM
My bride and I are toying with the idea of setting up a merchant web site. We've been browsing possible vendors and I was truly amazed at how many sites there are out there. Most seem to offer similar service/cost so I figured the next step would be to get some input from those that already have a hosting service about specific surprises or hidden costs, down time or that kind of thing. This will be primarily for my babies craft efforts but I'm hoping she'll let me slip some clocks or scrollwork on there every once in awhile. :)

Jeff Sudmeier
02-10-2005, 2:12 PM
A lot of people now find their own hosting provider and build a website on that. The build product pages on their host and then use Paypal to provide a "Shopping Bag". Many of the smaller merchants on the net now use this functionality. When it first came out, it was not well excepted, but it really seems to be catching on now.

Scott Loven
02-10-2005, 4:24 PM
I have a merchant web site that I have done on my own. I use HTML-kit (http://www.chami.com/html-kit/download/) for editing and go-daddy for web and ebay picture hosting. I use paypal for credit cards. I get most of my sales off of ebay and subsequently don't spend as much time on the web site as I should. There is a link to my web site in my profile.
Scott

John Weber
02-10-2005, 5:39 PM
I like and use www.amhosting.com. Up time is very good, and the prices are decent - they have packages for whatever you might want.

John

Doug Shepard
02-10-2005, 7:05 PM
If Bill Arnold doesn't add his $0.02 here, you might want to find him in the member list and go to his webpage. I remember a post he did not real long ago where he had a lot of good things to say about whoever he was using. I'm pretty sure he mentioned putting a link to them on his webpage.

Jim Becker
02-10-2005, 10:22 PM
You might consider using Hampton Roads who hosts this site...complimentary, I might add. The cost may be a little more than the web-mills, but the service will undoubtedly be great.

Michael McCoy
02-11-2005, 8:21 AM
Thanks gents - that was the kind of input I was looking for.