PDA

View Full Version : unscheduled day in the shop

cal thelen
06-10-2011, 9:57 AM
Hello Everyone Well I had taken vacation Thursday and friday with the intention of going up to our cottage for nice long weekend. So on our way up wed My wife says I dont feel right. I look over at her and her face is blown up like a balloon. So we head back to home town and the emergency room. Some kind of allergic reaction but to what they dont know. Anyway they pumped her full of benedryl, steroids and I am not sure what else, But it left her pretty worn out. So while she slept away the day yesterday I went out in the shop and played.(Dont tell my wife I said play, I always tell her I am going out there to work.) So this is what I did. The bird house is a fathers day gift for my dad. Its made out of box Elder with some pallet wood finials and perch. mounted on a piece of Maple. Its about 10 inches tall and the body is about 5 inches diam. Sprayed with glossy Spar varnish. What do you think do I leave it on the log or take it off.
197502 Also made this little lidded box out of wormy apple. I think i should of gone a little thinner on the box but I was afraid of cracks, walls are a little less than 3/8". finish is rattle can laquer. What else could I have done to make the box Better.. It was already claimed by my wife. She is feeling better and I think we are heading up to cottage today. Thanks for looking and any comments

bob svoboda
06-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Glad she's feeling better and you got a day in your shop to make some nice pieces.

Tim Thiebaut
06-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Hi Cal, I hope your wife is feeling better today, scary stuff it sounds like. Glad you got some shop time though...I like the bird house, I have been meaning to try one of these myself.

Steve Schlumpf
06-10-2011, 4:52 PM
Nice stuff Cal! I hope you were able to make it to your cottage today!

As far as improvements - as long as your wife like it - you are golden! Next time you can try for a little thinner - just be sure to watch the exterior curve and make sure it flows. Have fun!

Harvey Ghesser
06-10-2011, 5:07 PM
Your Grandpa was right!

Ed Morgano
06-11-2011, 12:13 AM
Nice work Cal. I really like the bird house and will have to add that to my list of things to turn. Hummmmm..... it's never ending.