PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper article -Stonewall Jackson's Prayer tree "Second Life"

Roger Chandler
06-10-2011, 9:34 AM
Our local newspaper "Daily News Record" did an article on our clubs effort on the Stonewall Jackson Prayer Tree. The article is entitled "Second Life."

I am posting a link to the article........I do not know if one can view it unless they have a subscription or not, but I will post in hopes it can be viewed.

http://dnronline.com/news_details.php?AID=58106&CHID=2

Someone let me know if it can be seen with this link.

David DeCristoforo
06-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Can't read it. Maybe scan it as a PDF and post that. Is any of this historic wood going to be made available to people outside of your club?

Roger Chandler
06-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Can't read it. Maybe scan it as a PDF and post that. Is any of this historic wood going to be made available to people outside of your club?

David.........I am wondering if the article is copyrighted....knowledge on this on my part is zero...........if not a pdf might be possible...

The agreement with the owners to be able to preserve the authenticity of the wood and its historical significance is that we as a club will have to keep this pretty much in house........I do have permission for Keith Outten of SMC to make some pens from this for the freedom pen project........other than that, we are bound to keep control over this.

There is not a desire on my part to exclude anyone.........however, the only way we can keep this authenticity with integrity is to limit the amount of turners and to hold them accountable for the use, and to include their name on the official registry of turners and to make the official documentation that goes with each piece a part of its presence at the museums, gift shops and galleries that will be venues for this work.

This was the decision of the club officers in consultation with the owners, and that is what we will do our best to abide by.

Don Jarvie
06-10-2011, 1:18 PM
The paper charges to read it online. If it can be scanned I'd love to read it.

Roger Chandler
06-10-2011, 4:05 PM
I received a copy of an email the owners have sent to the Smithsonian Institution is Washington D.C. about a display of some pieces there............we will await hearing back from them.

Sorry about the link...........I am not sure if I can scan this.........my scanner is out of commission, so I cannot do it..........unless my son can come up with a way............he is at work.

Steve Schlumpf
06-10-2011, 4:15 PM
Roger, I would like to read the article as much as anyone else but be smart about this. Check with the reporter/newspaper first as you don't want any problems to arise by sharing information without authorization. Probably no big deal... but just to be sure, contact them and find out what your options are.

Dave Mueller
06-12-2011, 9:23 AM
Guys,
Here is a link to a story that you can read.
http://www.dnronline.com/photo/?p=3451

Nathan Hawkes
06-12-2011, 9:32 PM
Roger, thanks for posting this! I wish my big saw had been working that day. I'm hoping the parts get here next week.

Baxter Smith
06-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks Dave. Nice pictures! Great project Roger!

Roger Chandler
06-13-2011, 4:18 PM
Thanks Dave. Nice pictures! Great project Roger!

Thanks Baxter............I had to mention this because of the historical significance of the tree, and just to share what our turning club is trying to accomplish with this wood. It will be an endeavor that will cover some time for sure, but giving this one a second life will be worth the effort IMO!

Also, thanks Dave for the photoblog link.......

I had to go out of town for a conference, and today during a break visited the local WC store...........picked up some claro walnut, 2 DVD's, a Nova spannar wrench, and drill bit set..........the dvd's are on pen making [I have not turned a pen yet, but with the smaller pieces of this tree, I wanted to utilize all I could, so I figured learn how it is done, then order the mandrel and other items to get started right] and the other is Mahoney's "Heirlooms-making things that last!"

Hopefully I can get to the first pieces I have in the near future......still have the biggest part of the tree to recover.

Roger Chandler
06-13-2011, 4:47 PM
Roger, thanks for posting this! I wish my big saw had been working that day. I'm hoping the parts get here next week.

Nate...........I hope you can get that big saw repaired.....as you could see, we are certainly going to need it!!!

Rick Markham
06-13-2011, 5:35 PM
I'm super excited for you guys, great article too! I'm like David I wish I could help contribute... Do I have to move to Virginia to join the club? :D