PDA

View Full Version : E_C finished

Dan Cameron
02-10-2005, 1:40 PM
I finally finished and delivered the entertainment center I made for a son's family room. The design was a collaberative effort. I am pleased with the fact that the doors covering the TV magically vanish. Wood is birch ply and hard maple. Finish is trans-tint dye, amber shellac, and polycrylic.

Bryan Nuss
02-10-2005, 1:43 PM
Beautiful work, Dan. Tremendous work on the trim details! Can you give us a couple close-ups?

Chris Daigh
02-10-2005, 1:53 PM
That is one nice gift, now where did those doors go and how did they get there. Lets see that pic.

Bobby Nicks
02-10-2005, 1:59 PM
Dan, I to am interested in how your doors work. From the pictures it looks like the doors are in 3 sections. Also what size TV will fit in there? I'm in the process of designing one for a 56 inch TV.

Bob

Jeff Sudmeier
02-10-2005, 2:01 PM
That looks great!!

Yes, we do need details on how you made the doors vanish! :)

Ted Shrader
02-10-2005, 2:09 PM
Dan -

Very nice work. Your son certainly has something to be very proud of! Great detail in the trim - true craftsmanship.

Ted

Lars Thomas
02-10-2005, 2:45 PM
Oh yea, we are going to need more pictures of that! You've just teased us with what you have posted so far. It looks great.

Bobby, I think that's the 50" Samsung DLP, but I'm sure Dan can tell you for sure.

Jason Tuinstra
02-10-2005, 3:01 PM
Dan, excellent job!!! It looks fantastic and it fits perfectly with the spot in the room. Very nice.

Jerry Olexa
02-10-2005, 3:03 PM
Dan, OUTSTANDING work!! Show us the detail Thanks!!

Dave Brandt
02-10-2005, 3:15 PM
Dan, That is one gorgious piece! OK, you've hidden the doors under the sofa. Either that or that nice fluted column is more than just that. C'mon, spill the beans.

John Miliunas
02-10-2005, 7:46 PM
"Holy big screen TV, Batman!" Wow! :D That's awesome, Dan! An EC is in my own future, albeit a little more modern look, but if my detail and execution come even close to what you have there, I'll be more than happy! :) Yes, please, more details! Great, great job.:) :cool:

John L. Gregory
02-10-2005, 7:59 PM
I agree. Wow!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-10-2005, 8:03 PM
Dan.......ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS! I'm with the others...more pictures and details please!

Robby Phelps
02-10-2005, 8:07 PM
Nice work Dan. A very beautiful piece. It appears to have mirrors on the doors? Maybe its just the reflection. One question though the shelf above the TV seems to have some type of decorative trim or somthing on it. I can see vertical lines spaced about 6" apart. Almost looks like brick? Like many have said you've teased us badly now lets get some close ups. ;)

Again nice work!!!!!!!!!!:D
Robby Phelps RP Custom Woodworks

Signature line was removed - contained a direct link to poster's web site which violates the SMC Terms of Service.

Jim Becker
02-10-2005, 10:11 PM
Outstanding, Dan!! Really wonderful!

Bruce Page
02-10-2005, 10:50 PM
WHOA!
Beautiful execution and it fits its space wonderfully! I too want to know more about the magically disappearing doors. :confused:

Alan Turner
02-11-2005, 5:34 AM
Nice work, and I second the vote for detailed shots of the moldings. I was bidding a built in bookshelf unit (19 running feet), and it was the moldings that were providing the visual interest. The bid was on the money, meaning way over what the client wanted to spend, so I never built it. But, I would be interested to see how you handled similar issues.
Alan

Kelly C. Hanna
02-11-2005, 9:07 AM
Wow, that's nice! So what kind of door hardware did you use? Do they fold back and slide in between the side of the TV and the cabinet?

Dan Cameron
02-11-2005, 2:31 PM
As most of you have guessed, the doors in front of the TV hide away behind the fluted pilasters. We wanted these doors and the doors below to align, and two doors (across 52 inches) we deemed too wide, with four doors too narrow. So three doors it was. The right hand and center door comprise a bi-fold pair which fold into the right pilaster, and the left-hand door is an only child. The pilasters, which are hinged using 14mm barrell hinges (7 each side), have a 1/4 inch lip extending into the TV cavity. This lip hides the fact that the pilaster does not close up tight against the TV cavity side panel. Rather there is a 1/8 inch gap which provides clearance for part of the hinging mechanism.

Behind each pilaster there is a flipper-door slide mechanism purchased from Rockler. The slides are 22 inches long and provide about 15 inches of travel. Oops, the doors are 17+ inches wide. So I made some funny hinges by taking butt hinges and screwing 2x2 angles (approx) to one wing of each hinge. The other wing of each hinge is mortised into the slider tie board close to the side panel When the slide is in the forward position, the hinge-point is 2 inches back from the front edge of the TV side panel and the 2x2 angle wraps tightly around that edge into the TV cavity where it is mortised into the back of the door. The pilaster closes up against the angle...thus the 1/8 inch gap. When the doors are swung out 90 degrees the back of the door is 2 inches back from the front edge of the slide panel, so the travel of the slide plus the fact that the pilaster is hollow allows the pilaster to close over the doors. Voila.

There are cutouts at the back of each section of the unit on the sides towards the pilaster cavity, so all the all the wires and cables run in this space. You can thus wire without pulling the beast away from the wall. I do not at present have pix of the slide and hinge mechanism.

The molding at the bottom is a piece of 5/4 x 4 inch stock with a purchased ogee molding attached. The crown molding at the top was likewise purchased and a piece of 1x2 added at the bottom to attach it to the top surfaces.

The side doors are not mirrored...just glass.

Dan Cameron
02-11-2005, 5:41 PM
My son just sent me some more pictures of the entertainment center.

Chris Daigh
02-11-2005, 5:50 PM
Now that is using your noodle. Unfortunately I never would have dreamed that up. Very clever and very nice.

lou sansone
02-11-2005, 9:31 PM
nice color and tone in the door panels

good job

Bobby Nicks
02-12-2005, 12:20 PM
Dan, Thanks for the extra pictures. Very clever, now why didn't I think of something like that.

Bob

Robby Phelps
02-12-2005, 11:27 PM
Great inginuity Dan. I am with the rest of the posts "why didn't I think of that?":rolleyes:

I am still wondering though about the molding/decoration on the front of the shelf that is above the TV. I really like it and was curious as to how you made it? Could we also get a close up of that?

Again nice work!!!!!!!