PDA

View Full Version : Arts & Crafts Bathroom Set

Russell Neyman
06-09-2011, 11:55 PM
Just wrapping up this bathroom "furniture" here in an upscale waterfront home here near Seattle. I was hired to create four major pieces that appeared to be free-standing antiques even though they aren't: a vanity, a linen cabinet, a beveled mirror, and a privacy wall.

Here's a low quality group shot taken with my phone camera today. All of the wood is quartersawn red oak. The countertops are black paperstone, and the hardware is hammered copper.

The vanity with matching mirror is, of course, the centerpiece. In this picture, the sink (which will mount on the countertop as if it were a bowl just sitting on a table) has not yet been installed, and craftsmen-style wicker baskets will be placed in the three lower bays.
197457 197459

All of the joinery involves period-correct through tenons with ebony pins. One of the biggest challenges was to create the rather complex dental trim that is featured at the top of the mirror and linen cabinet. That design was loosely copied from a piece of trim in the tub and shower areas.

The extremely tall linen cabinet will house a colorful array of towels on the shelves, but also the drawer is specifically designed to hold the owners' extensive medicines. The fluted glass held by the quartersawn oak doors is one of my favorite touches. It's actually two pieces, a cabinet with paperstone top, and a shelf placed on top, all fitted into a nook. Note the dental trim across the top that matches the mirror.

The final (and yet to be stained and finished) piece is a freestanding bookcase that serves as a privacy wall next to the toilet. It also has a ebony paperstone top, with figured quarterstone red oak throughout. Because it's viewable from virtually every side, I needed to create composition legs with the quartersawn figure on several sides. It will also be stained reddish-brown. I'll post better pictures when it's complete.

As always, I share this in hopes that it will trigger some of the inspiration that was passed on to me by others. Your comments, suggestions, and questions are welcome.

Ted Calver
06-10-2011, 8:11 AM
Russell,
Thanks for sharing these pieces. They are beautiful and the figured wood is striking.

Mark Valsi
06-10-2011, 10:55 AM
Excellent all round !! Kudos !