PDA

View Full Version : Getting sucked into the vortex..... help!

Ed Morgano
06-09-2011, 11:33 PM
I realized that a chuck would really help in my work after a very short time at my lathe trying to make bowls and other funny shapped objects. The problem I've had was that the spindle on my home built lathe has 1 1/2 x 8 threads instead of 1x8 or 1 1/4x8. When I made the spindle, I didn't bother to check what was standard for wood lathes. Anyway, I got on the Grizzly site tonight in search of something to adapt one of their chucks to my spindle and what to you know....deep on their website they have a chuck with 1 1/2x8 threads. I know it's not the popular brand here but i'm hoping it does a good job. I'll let you know when I get it. Oh, and I ordered a set of the 4" jaws too.

Tim Thiebaut
06-10-2011, 12:32 AM
Now come on Ed, you know darn well there is no help for this....once your sucked in thats it...!

Steve Schlumpf
06-10-2011, 12:35 AM
Ed - hope the chuck works out for you! Just for your info, Oneway (http://www.oneway.ca/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=97&Itemid=2) offers a variety of adapters for their chucks and may be worth checking out.

Don Alexander
06-10-2011, 1:05 AM
if you really want help out of the vortex this is definitely the wrong forum to ask for it in :eek:

the only help you will find here is a big push INTO the vortex :D:D:D:D:D

Rick Markham
06-10-2011, 4:10 AM
I'm sorry to say, you have already passed the event horizon... resistance is futile. Might as well just have fun now! Having a chuck is a great thing, congrats!

Dick Wilson
06-10-2011, 7:24 AM
Help???? You have to be kidding:eek::eek: The person tapping you on the shoulder is I and if you look around as you are swirling downwards you will see the faces of everyone on this forum.:D:D:D

Roger Chandler
06-10-2011, 7:25 AM
Dude..............there's no help for you! Once in the vortex, you are in..:eek:..........accept it! ;):D

John Keeton
06-10-2011, 7:41 AM
Ed, I am truly embarrased by this bunch!:o They offer nothing but snickering and jeers at your hopeless slide into the abyss - such lack of character!!:eek:

I, on the other hand, stand as your only friend - a support in time of need. Your strength in the face of hopeless despair - and, on that note, if you need to borrow any catalogues or need a list of sources for various items or wood, please let me know. I am here for you!:);):D

Jim Slovik
06-10-2011, 7:44 AM
Ed,
My first lathe was a shop built with 1 1/2 x 8 threads. The chuck that came with it was a Nova without an insert. Maybe 1 1/2 x 8 is the standard without an insert?? By the way, I have a donut chuck that I made for that lathe. It's 22 1/2" in diameter, plywood with a nice steel faceplate. If you could use it, you can have it. If you don't need a donut chuck, I could remove the faceplate and send that to you.
Jim

Dick Wilson
06-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Ed, I am truly embarrased by this bunch!:o They offer nothing but snickering and jeers at your hopeless slide into the abyss - such lack of character!!:eek:

I, on the other hand, stand as your only friend - a support in time of need. Your strength in the face of hopeless despair - and, on that note, if you need to borrow any catalogues or need a list of sources for various items or wood, please let me know. I am here for you!:);):D

Ed, And if you're gullible enough to fall for the words coming from John then I have a Shopsmith that I will sell you because it is one of the finest lathes ever produced:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::r olleyes::rolleyes:

Ed Morgano
06-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Oh Guys,
My heart is swelled with pride knowing that I am part of a group of caring people who are willing to devote their time helping a fellow creeker in need. It's good to know that, with your help and support, I have a chance to beat this terrible addiction.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Ed.....Bernie Weishapl turns with several Grizzly chucks..IIRC...

And ....quit your whimpering and enjoy the ride!:eek::rolleyes::D

John Keeton
06-10-2011, 1:33 PM
....I have a chance to beat this terrible addiction.Yes, and it is just a little better than your chance at winning the lottery!!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-10-2011, 1:39 PM
Yes, and it is just a little better than your chance at winning the lottery!!

Uh......John...to win the lottery...ya' gotta buy a ticket.......buying more chucks aint gonna break the habit. There's a difference son.

David E Keller
06-10-2011, 6:08 PM
Ed, hopefully the chuck you found is a four jaw, scroll chuck and not one of the metal lathe chucks they sell... Just something to check. I know there are folks who use chucks with independent jaws, but I don't think I'd go that route if I had another option.

Dennis Simmons
06-10-2011, 6:10 PM
You will need more than one chuck:), three works good. This is a link to an adapter from PSI
for 1.5x8 TPI inches - to 1.0x8 TPI, If for some reason the link will not work, Penn State Industries has a great selection of adapters and other lathe accessories. :D

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LA11218.html

Ed Morgano
06-10-2011, 10:30 PM
You will need more than one chuck:), three works good. This is a link to an adapter from PSI
for 1.5x8 TPI inches - to 1.0x8 TPI, If for some reason the link will not work, Penn State Industries has a great selection of adapters and other lathe accessories. :D

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LA11218.html

Thanks Dennis. I looked at their adaptors and I'm sure that will be where I go in the future as I start accumulating chucks.....is there ever an end? Just kidding. I love this stuff !!!

Ed Morgano
07-28-2011, 10:57 AM
I realized that a chuck would really help in my work after a very short time at my lathe trying to make bowls and other funny shapped objects. The problem I've had was that the spindle on my home built lathe has 1 1/2 x 8 threads instead of 1x8 or 1 1/4x8. When I made the spindle, I didn't bother to check what was standard for wood lathes. Anyway, I got on the Grizzly site tonight in search of something to adapt one of their chucks to my spindle and what to you know....deep on their website they have a chuck with 1 1/2x8 threads. I know it's not the popular brand here but i'm hoping it does a good job. I'll let you know when I get it. Oh, and I ordered a set of the 4" jaws too.

I wanted to revist this and let everyone know about my new Grizzly chuck. It is a knockoff of the Super Nova 2 chuck. The first one I got was a bad copy. It had about 015" play in two of the jaws and it would NOT hold a piece true. I called Grizzly and they immediately arranged a return and said they would send another chuck out as soon as they received the other one. They also said they would pay for the return postage, which they did. Good customer service in my book. Anyway, I received the replacement yesterday and it is jam up. No play in the jaws and I can mount and re-mount a piece and it will run true within about .005" which is plenty good for wood. Here are a few pictures:

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-28-2011, 11:02 AM
I have a chance to beat this terrible addiction
No you don't. Uh, Uh. Forget it. You're sunk. Now that we've established that fact, call Oneway and buy the chuck and adapter. You won't be sorry. Just a bit poorer.
faust