PDA

View Full Version : Anything interesting in Provo, UT?

Zach Dillinger
06-09-2011, 9:53 PM
Sometime in the late summer, early fall, my wife has to go to Provo, UT for some work-related training. Since she is terrified to fly, she has asked me to join her, despite the fact that I will have absolutely nothing to do for a week while she is in class. Does anyone have any hints, tips or suggestions for interesting things to see in that area?

george wilson
06-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Is that where that there Provolone cheese comes from?????:)

Jonathan McCullough
06-09-2011, 10:31 PM
The best thing about Provo is probably Salt Lake City. Badum-bum.

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.

Sundance is in the Provo canyon. If you're a fly fisher, there's lots of fishing up there and beyond. Park City is where they have a lot of the Sundance film festival screenings and the main street there is sort of a tourist destination. Salt Lake and Provo are in the valley. When it gets hot a lot of people go up into the canyons to rock climb, hike at the many state and federal forests/parks, or go mountain biking. Very pretty up there. If you like Mexican cuisine, or haven't tried it, there are a lot of interesting places to go. In Salt Lake.

The Mormon temple area in Salt Lake is noteworthy for its cultural, historical, and religious relevance. There are many examples of mid 19th-century to 20th-century hand made wood working within the temple grounds. Brigham Young's "Beehive House" features all hand-made woodwork. And there is a pioneer village interpretive center called This is The Place Heritage Park that may have a wheelwright or cooper. Which is just north of Salt Lake. The University of Utah has an art museum with visiting exhibits. In Salt Lake. Brigham Young University also has an art museum, in Provo.

My understanding is that there are quite a few capable craftspeople in the area, but as far as hand tool stuff goes, it's like anywhere else. There is another creeker named Zach England who is in Salt Lake and may be able to give you better dope.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-09-2011, 10:38 PM
If you are a turner, there is Craft Supply USA in Provo. If you think you might want to be a turner, they have some classes there that are highly regarded.

While you are than close, I'd take the time to go to Arches National Monument near Moab. You can drive through and see some pretty spectacular rock arches from your vehicle.

Pam Niedermayer
06-09-2011, 11:04 PM
I could spend a week mucking about the Great Salt Lake, things like Cristo's spiral jetty. For woodworking, I'd find out where Stephen Shepherd (http://www.fullchisel.com/) hangs out.

Pam

Zach England
06-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Probably. I just don't know what it is.

Hopefully you are into hiking, canyons and such. It is a really beautiful area, but I can't advise too much because I live in the urban core of SLC, which is geographically fairly close but culturally a world away from Provo. I don't make it down there much (ever).

Is your wife in the scrapbooking industry? :)

george wilson
06-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Actually,it comes from Southern Italy.:)

Bruce Haugen
06-10-2011, 12:42 PM
... For woodworking, I'd find out where Stephen Shepherd (http://www.fullchisel.com/) hangs out.

Pam

This (http://www.thisistheplace.org/) is where Stephen hangs out. It's a must see, and he's a must meet. Buy yourself a copy of his books while you're there and you'll get an autographed version from the man himself!

Zach England
06-10-2011, 1:27 PM
This (http://www.thisistheplace.org/) is where Stephen hangs out. It's a must see, and he's a must meet. Buy yourself a copy of his books while you're there and you'll get an autographed version from the man himself!

Seconded. If you are in SLC go there. Also, go to the Beehive house downtown. The list of worthwhile Mormon history sites is long. There's also a lot of fine 19th century woodworking to see at a number of them. I hear that inside the Salt Lake temple there is a lot of really wonderful woodworking, but it's not open to the public.

Wes Grass
06-10-2011, 2:31 PM
Railroad and Browning gun museum in Ogden. And Antelope Island in the middle of the Salt Lake is supposed to be really nice. But that's probably a more with the wife thing.

Pam Niedermayer
06-10-2011, 3:56 PM
Railroad and Browning gun museum in Ogden. And Antelope Island in the middle of the Salt Lake is supposed to be really nice. But that's probably a more with the wife thing.

It was interesting with Jack and Bounder, especially when Bounder almost jumped off the hill chasing an eagle (this was really scary, I was barely able to stop him with a voice command); but it seemed to me like a nice place to wander around alone taking photos.

Pam

William Hovis
06-10-2011, 4:33 PM
I love Antelope Island. The drive across the causeway (especially when the sun is low) is beautiful.

Zach England
06-10-2011, 4:43 PM
I've never been to antelope Island and I have lived here for almost 15 years.

Zach Dillinger
06-10-2011, 7:41 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. My wife is a librarian and is going to be cross-trained in systems administration for the library's computer system. Apparently Provo has one of the top training centers for this.

I will definitely get in touch with Stephen Shepard. I do read his blog on a regular basis, but it never clicked that he lives in Utah...

Thanks again!

Zach

Glen Johnson
06-10-2011, 9:47 PM
Thanksgiving Point is a short drive from Provo. You will drive past it driving down from the Airport right after you go over the point of the Mountain. There are several attractions there. My favorite is the Dinosaur Museum. I believe it is the largest Dinosaur museum in the world or at least among the largest. They have an impressive collection of fully mounted dinosaurs. I have visited it several times. It is well worth the visit.

You might also consider a vist to Timpanogas Cave. Timp is the big mountain behind Provo. The cave is run by the National Park Service. You have a steep climb up the mountain to reach the cave entrance. The views are great on the hike and you will get a good workout. Bring or buy water there. It will be hot.

My favorite restaurant there is the Costa Vidal at least I think that is the name. It is attached to a bowling alley and is short on atmosphere but has incredibly great Mexican food for a cheap price. It is just off the BYU campus.

If you are missing a few ancestors, the Mormon geneology center is considered the worlds best and people come from around the world to do geneological research there. It is across the street from Temple Square. Next door is the Pioneer museum. It is all free. If you join the tour on temple square you will get a religious pitch from the guides. The Mormon Tabernacle is interesting because it was built by pioneers without nails. It used good joinery bound by wet leather.

Enjoy your trip.

Tony Shea
06-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Fly Fishing in Utah is epic. Not sure if you fly fish though. I fly there from Maine, which has some great fishing, to hit Utah's amazing fly fishing scene. Although quite a ride from SLC the Green River is just slammed with the best fishing of your life. Beautiful area it is and also is an incredible place for just hiking. I really love taking that trip and envy anyone going there.