PDA

View Full Version : Sawstop and the JessEm mie-R-Excel

Roger Feeley
06-09-2011, 9:31 PM
The Jessem Miter gauge is great but the aluminum extrusion doesn't mix too well with the Sawstop. I learned this the hard way when I was nibbing away some material with my dado head. I didn't realize that those two brass screws holding the extrusion in place had come loose and the extrusion was moving with the wood. Yep, I had a brake fire with my $200 stacked dado set.

This is the price of having a Sawstop so I went and got me a new stacked dado set and brake. But it didn't mean it should happen again.

My solution was to take off those very attractive brass knobs and replace them with the lever clamps from Rockler. Now it's easy to tell if the screws are tight. If the clamps point up, I'm good to go. Adjustment was easy.

There is still some chance I could do this again but I hope not.

Larry Frank
06-09-2011, 9:36 PM
Sorry about that and having to put on the money. Any of us who have a SawStop probably have realized that part of the cost will be to pay for a blade and cartridge due to hitting something other than flesh. Before I got the SawStop, I put a couple of cuts in the Incra 1000SE that I use. Now, I am very careful about how it is set especially when making an angled cut.

Roger Feeley
06-09-2011, 9:54 PM
Thanks for the sympathy. I didn't say too many dirty words when it happened. I do remember thinking that it was cool to find out for sure that the safety system worked. At the same time, did it have to be with a dado set?????? That's what hurt.

My life has been full of really cheap lessons. The only car wreck I ever had was with a 1966 Chevy Bel-Air in 1986 and no one was hurt. I had a choice of rear-ending another car or hitting a concrete post. I took the post.

This lesson was an exception. You can't be lucky all the time.

Bobby O'Neal
06-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Seen several SawStop brake firings due to non flesh contact posts lately. Its great to see that its usually miter gauges and not fingers.