PDA

View Full Version : Hey Scott Hackler - THANKS!!

John Keeton
06-09-2011, 8:10 PM
Got home today and had a box waiting on me - from Scott Hackler!! Inside was a BONE DRY chunk of very nice Box Elder about 9" square x 5.5" tall - THANKS Scott!

Immediately, I knew what I wanted to do with this piece. Jamie Donaldson has a box elder piece in his collection (don't recall the artist) and the red flames were air brushed with red dye to preserve the color. This will make a perfect lidded dish, and a candidate for some airbrushed flame. Now, I just have to figure out what wood is scarce in Kansas!?!?

Tim Thiebaut
06-09-2011, 8:15 PM
Congrats John, and that was very nice of you Scott!

David E Keller
06-09-2011, 8:48 PM
Good on Scott for sharing! Looks like there may be something interesting inside that chunk.

Steve Schlumpf
06-09-2011, 8:48 PM
Wow - congrats on the wood John! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Can't help you on what woods are scare in Kansas. Always figured that being located in a tropical rainforest - they had every variety of tree known to man! Maybe send him a dried sunflower stalk? Now that would be different!

Roger Chandler
06-09-2011, 8:54 PM
Oh boy,

That one would look great combined with some claro John! Nice gesture, Scott!

Scott Hackler
06-09-2011, 9:01 PM
HA! I didnt think it would show up until tomorrow. :) I was wondering around the shop and that piece of box elder has been sitting on the floor under the table saw for months and months. I always saw a HF in it but I get pretty discouraged trying to wrestle my Sorby Hollowmaster so there it sat, not wanting to screw it up. So.... I was just thinking that John hadn't posted any box elder forms so there ya go.

John , I don't know if I would say its "bone dry". It had a bit of moisture when I processed it and applied the anchor seal, but I think I did that last fall. I should have dated it but I forgot. I will tell you that I did mark the bark side for a reason. This box elder has some curl and line figure going from the bark side in, so think about that when you orient it on the lathe.

Have fun! And your welcome!

Jim Burr
06-09-2011, 9:04 PM
Nice Scott! Sure looks pretty!

Jeff Nicol
06-09-2011, 11:27 PM
John, Scott did a good thing for you! I have 5 box elder trees to go pick up at my Dads place one of these days and he said there is some beautiful red in a lot of the logs. So get something done with it so I am inspired to do something good with what I pick up. Just got a line on some big shag bark hickory also, with one having some wild looking bends and bumps in it, hope it is full of figure too.

Have fun wih it,

Jeff