PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Lathe tool cabinet

Mike Peace
06-09-2011, 7:40 PM
I made this mobile tool cabinet to go at the end of my lathe. It serves to allow me to remove my tailstock on to the bed extension on the cabinet and roll it out of the way for hollowing. It also provides a place for my tool tray to hold the tools I am using on a project. I made a little extension like on a desk. Not sure why but figure it might come in handy. It has six drawers of different sizes to store stuff in.

Roger Chandler
06-09-2011, 7:48 PM
Nice cabinet Mike.............they do come in handy...........I made one last year with 4 drawers...........really helps keep things organized and gives me a surface for my grinder to sit on.

Harvey Ghesser
06-09-2011, 8:20 PM
Looks exactly like the one I need, Mike!:D

Steve Campbell
06-09-2011, 9:24 PM
I could sure use something like that in my shop too, but I would have to spend the first day cleaning off the table saw so I could just start......................

Steve

Greg Just
06-09-2011, 9:29 PM
very useful project. Like clamps - you can never have too much storage.

David E Keller
06-09-2011, 9:39 PM
I could sure use something like that in my shop too, but I would have to spend the first day cleaning off the table saw so I could just start......................

Steve

Couldn't have said it better...

Nice looking cabinet, Mike.

Jeff Nicol
06-09-2011, 11:04 PM
One can never have enough drawers or flat surfaces in a shop! The little extension for the tailstock is a nice thing, as soon as I get all of my welders and metal working stuff into the little newly remodeled shop, I will be able to reorganize a few things in the wood shop. Then I will make a better arrangement for my tailstock, good job on a very functional cabinet.

Jeff

Ed Morgano
06-09-2011, 11:11 PM
Looks exactly like the one I need, Mike!:D

Mike,
Your timing is perfect. I have a mess at the end of my lathe and this has been on my list of things to do. Great job.

Tim Rinehart
06-10-2011, 8:37 AM
Yep, I did a mobile base at end of my 3520 within 2 weeks of having the lathe. I have a boxed area that covers the extension and the lower platform allows the heavy extension to line up directly with the holes in the lathe stand (at lower position). If I set the extension on top of the cover protecting it, then it lines up with the holes to extend the primary ways.
Its well engineered...but not the prettiest thing to look at. I used whatever scrap lumber I had around for it...including the front of the sliding drawer at bottom left that has all sorts of weld splatter burns in it.:eek:
Having somewhere to slide that tailrest off to without setting on floor is invaluable, and even the best tilting solutions leave the tool rest potentially in your way for working off the end of the lathe.

Very nice work on yours Mike...looks more like something made by someone with flatwork experience.

Oh...don't get the wrong impression here...on a 'normal' day, I can't see the tops of this table...just another horizontal surface that attracts EVERYTHING.:cool:

cal thelen
06-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Looks great. I need to do something too seems like I spend alot time looking for tools.

Steve Schlumpf
06-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Very nice work Mike! Well thought out!

Scott Lux
06-10-2011, 2:30 PM
Nice work Mike. That's a great solution to several problems.