PDA

View Full Version : Cup Cake Wrapper

Paul Brinkmeyer
06-09-2011, 6:15 PM
I have a niece I am making some wedding items for.
The one thing she really wants is ivy vine cup cake wrappers. I will add names to them, so buying ready made is not a good option.
For some reason I have come up blank on even finding a good ivy pattern to trace or work with. Can some one pint me in the right direction?

Thanks

James Rambo
06-09-2011, 9:50 PM
try doing a search for cupcake on smc dee had a link for some patterns

Dan Hintz
06-10-2011, 6:54 AM
Be aware... unless you have a galvo machine, such a complicated pattern is going to take an enormous amount of time to vector cut (10 minutes?). It may even be faster to raster cut those...

Ian Franks
06-10-2011, 6:55 AM
Paul
You have to design it yourself, we looked and couldn't find professional looking patterns. We haven't done an Ivy one either.

Jiten Patel
06-10-2011, 8:01 AM
Designing patterns like that isn't as hard as it looks. Lots of vine vectors, choose the right ones, randomly placed around a cupcake template and compound (illustrator) shape.

And as Dan said, that will take you an age on a carriage. Something like that would take me a 40 seconds to a minute of so on my galvo so 7-10 mins sounds about right.

Paul Brinkmeyer
06-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Thanks all for the ideas.
Iwill just design it this weekend.
Dan, did you forget? Time has no meaning when it comes to a young womens wedding.
If it was not for a very special relative of the SO, I would have passed.
But I have gone over the "event horizon" on this wedding already, no turning back now. (and it will be a day she remembers.)

Alick Ford
06-10-2011, 8:47 PM
I made some wedding invitations and other things for my sisters wedding with nearly the same detail.
If you tape together 4-5 sheets and try to fit 2 designs to a sheet you'll cut your time down a lot!
Each job might take 10 mins but you'll have 10 items at the end! 1 min each!

The only problem I ran into was when cutting larger shapes, the top layers start to lift and can very easily get in the way of the beam and catch fire!

Paul Brinkmeyer
06-17-2011, 11:46 AM
Ok, Here is what I did.

I took a doliy from an earlier post from R Alexander and reworked by R Brewer. Thanks to both.
I used that design to make the cupcake holder that matched. This cupcake holder just covers the base and alows all of the frosting design to show. (That is what the bride wanted) I left room so selected holders can have words on them.

I found some paper at WM, Textured card stock that is 12" X 12" and was $5.00 for a book that hols 40 sheets. Cut great.

I have attached the design for others to use.

BYW, the cupcake is not on my alowed food list so I ate it before I got caught, but it did fit.

Dee Gallo
06-17-2011, 4:11 PM
Paul, those are EXTREMELY nice! And no burn marks! Your customers will be so pleased I'm sure. Thanks for posting the file, that will come in handy!

cheers,dee

Debbie Gillett
06-17-2011, 11:28 PM
I am having an issue opening up any cdr files. I have corel x3 so the vers 9 here should be ok. When it opens it tries to open in adobe. Anyone know how I can fix this issue.
Thanks bunches
Debbie

Dee Gallo
06-17-2011, 11:45 PM
Yeah, Debbie, when I tried to open it, I got a pageful of gibberish... something must be wrong!

Paul Brinkmeyer
06-18-2011, 11:13 AM
I downloaded it and it opened for me.

I have attached the ver X5.

If there is something else I need to do, just let me know

Edit: I have also added a zip of the PDF versioin.

Mike Chance in Iowa
06-18-2011, 2:27 PM
I'm able to view the v9 file with X3 on an XP computer. It matches the PDF image.

Bill Cunningham
06-18-2011, 4:43 PM
Came in fine on X4

Debbie Gillett
06-18-2011, 8:16 PM
I still could not open it in vers 5. for some reason it wants to open up in adobe instead of corel. I am not sure how to switch this. I have right clicked to choose to open in a specific program but that option is not there. I tryed to save as target and that would not work either.
I was able to open up the zip file though so thanks for that. Now just to figure out if it is my computer or what to see where I can change to be able to open up the files in corel. Right now when it tries to open in adobe it says the file is corrupt or was attached wrong. I am sure that is not the case since Mike was able to open it.
Thanks
Debbie

Ben Cartwright
06-18-2011, 9:27 PM
sometimes when im looking for patterns the best place to find them is dingbat fonts, there are so many of them out there, even have pictures as fonts and they are all scalable images then.

Mike Null
06-19-2011, 6:29 AM
Debbie

Did you save the file to your computer before you tried to open it. If not, try that, and open it with Corel.

Debbie Gillett
06-19-2011, 7:41 PM
HI Mike, and Yes I have tried to save to my computer first. Either way by just trying to open the cdr link or by saving it both want to open up in adobe instead of corel (even though it says it is saving it in a corel file) wants to open up as an adobe and says the file is corrupt.

Bill Cunningham
06-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Double clicking a .cdr file from your windows explorer should open the file with corel. if not, Right click the file, and click open 'with' and select Corel.. If Corel is not one of the selections, choose the selection to use 'another' program, then select CorelDraw from the list.. If it was saved with the .cdr extension, Adobe shouldn't even look at it!

Rangarajan Saravana kumar
06-21-2011, 1:04 AM
It has come awesome... Tks a lot for this new venture to me

Regards,
Saravanakumar

Frank Defert
06-21-2011, 2:19 PM
Opened fine in V12 .... great work Paul! .... thanks for sharing ....

Dee Gallo
06-22-2011, 7:38 PM
Oddly, I just clicked on it and it opened in CD... then I saved it with a new name. No problem. But I also tried the "save as" thing and it gave me another page of gibberish.

Anyway, thanks for the file!

Linda Tetreault
06-23-2011, 2:38 PM
Beautiful designs, thank you very much.