PDA

View Full Version : Hello All

John Scane
02-10-2005, 12:54 PM
Hi,
My name is John Scane I just signed up here and wanted to introduce myself. My friend Mark Singer posted my website and I wanted to thank him and all of you for the kind words. I've been painting and making art since I was a child and it is my profession. About 8 years ago I started woodworking when a patron of my art asked if I could build him a dining table. I fell in love with it and started teaching myself and learning everything I could. I'm looking foward to learning and sharing all the info I can about woodworking. I can't wait to start seeing some of your works.

Once Again,

Thanks

John

Silas Smith
02-10-2005, 1:09 PM
John, let me be the first to welcome you to the creek! Mark already pointed me to your website and you are doing some incredible things.

Jason Tuinstra
02-10-2005, 1:22 PM
John, I'm glad to see that you joined our little group in cyber-space. Your work is fantastic! Welcome!

John Miliunas
02-10-2005, 1:23 PM
A BIG and hearty WELCOME to yet another name-sake! Glad to have you! Hey, any friend of Mark's is.... Well, we won't hold that against you! :D The only part of your introduction I have a problem with is the "learning" thing. Looks to me like you've already done that part! Time to teach some of us Newbies now!:) Anyhow, I'm really glad Mark pointed you in this direction. Come often, stay long and, in your case, we'd love to see some "work in progress" pics, so that WE may learn!:) :cool:

Jim Becker
02-10-2005, 1:29 PM
Welcome aboard, John! Many of us were recently admiring your wonderful work after Mark posted your site address in another thread. Awesome work. I hope you'll be able to contribute lots of your wisdom as there is much we can learn from you.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-10-2005, 1:36 PM
John,

Welcome to the creek! We are lucky to have a member with the talent that you have! Your work posted on your website is great!

Jeff

Dave Richards
02-10-2005, 1:38 PM
Welcome John.

You have done some truly inspired work. I didn't get a chance to post a thanks to Mark in his thread but I'm glad he did post the link to your site. Very nice.

I hope you'll enjoy the Creek as much as the rest of do.

Ted Shrader
02-10-2005, 1:56 PM
John -

Welcome to this little corner of the world. It is great to have you. Glad you introduced yourself. Very nice work displayed on your site.

Welcome,
Ted

Gene Collison
02-10-2005, 2:36 PM
John,

Welcome, welcome, welcome! We all got a sampling of your beautiful work through Mark Singer. You'll be a welcome addition around here, thanks for sharing your beautiful work with us.

Gene

Lars Thomas
02-10-2005, 2:47 PM
Hey, John, welcome to the creek. I checked out your website the other day when Mark posted it. You have turned out some beautiful work.

Now, if you can share with us what that huge bubinga is for, we'd all be greatfull.

Tom Ghesquiere
02-10-2005, 3:38 PM
John,
Welcome to the Creek. I'm a newbie myself and have learned a great deal since I joined. Your work is absolutely beautiful. Some day I'd like to make projects half that well! Please post lots of pictures to keep us 'newbies' motivated.

Tom

Karl Laustrup
02-10-2005, 4:53 PM
Welcome John. You have done some beautiful work. I am also curious as to what that slab of bubinga will become? Could you enlighten us please?

Thanks.

John Bailey
02-10-2005, 7:18 PM
Welcome aboard John. That is some tremendous work you've done. Hope to see some of the developmental stages of your work. As a new woodworker it would be interesting to see how you put your artwork together.

John

Ken Fitzgerald
02-10-2005, 7:51 PM
Welcome to the 'Creek John! Take and leave information as you see fit!

John Scane
02-11-2005, 1:28 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I won't keep in suspense any longer. The Bubinga is going to be used for a bedroom set. I haven't finalized the designs yet but I'm going to build a king size headboard, 2 nite stands, armoir, and some sort of dresser. I will probably use maple along with the bubinga. I have already cut the slab into 8 pieces that are 3" thick x 10" wide x 8' long. from those I have resawn 1.5" and 3/4" thick pieces. The trick with all of this is keeping the pieces matched up so that I can put it back together and have the grain be from one giant slab. Does that make sense ? Anyway it's been a bit of a pain because the wood is still at about 22% moisture and I need it to be about 12% to work with it. The client doesn't want to wait 1 or 2 years for it to air dry so I'm looking into sending it to a vacuum kiln in Stockton, CA. ( at the clients expense )
Any suggestions or any ideas of closer kilns would be appreciated.

Maybe when I finalize the design a little more I'll post pics and get some feedback.

Once again, thanks
John

Ken Salisbury
02-11-2005, 5:00 AM
WELCOME TO THE CREEK ! ! !

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif

Alan Turner
02-11-2005, 5:12 AM
Welcome aboard. Nice work on your website, by the way.
As to the Bubinga, please keep us posted. With most woods, I would be concerned about warpage and checking from this process, but I really have no infomration on which those concerns are based.

I bought an estate's tools and wood one year ago, and in the mix were three slabs of 12/4 bubinga. They had been sitting in an unheated shop in Pa. for at least 15 years (and now live in my garage). It is a 3 board flitch, 7' by 34", sawn through the tree. Anyway, the MC was about 15%, measured in May. I think it may be the csae that some tropicals just don't get as dry as our domestics, but I would be interested to learn if others have any comments on this issue. BTW, if anywone wants to make an offer on the bubinga, let me know as it is not my favorite wood.

Jim Dunn
02-11-2005, 7:46 AM
Welcome John,
I too visited your web site and was so intrigued that I invited my wife to look. She has been drawing and painting since she was a small child, and though we are a lot;) older now she still paints most every day.
So nice to have someone on board that my loml can relate to. Now, if I can keep her off this web site, I'll be happy:)

Jim and Pat Dunn

Bob Marino
02-11-2005, 8:02 AM
Welcome aboard, John.

And like the others have said, very impressive work.

Bob

Mark Singer
02-12-2005, 8:35 PM
John,

Glad to see you aboard! I was on a ski trip with friends and out of touch....looks like you got a nice welcome.