PDA

View Full Version : this wasnt in the job description? :P

curtis rosche
06-09-2011, 5:57 PM
so i work at an amish woodworking shop local to me, and i do pretty much everything there except assembly of parts. i cut, sand, measure, rout, and fix/tune up the machines. but today i got one more thing added to my job description,,,,,,, driving my boss and wife to deliver their first kid :D lol. something happy and exciting is good once in awhile lol

Jim McFarland
06-09-2011, 6:39 PM
I would guess that is a very satisfying contribution!

ray hampton
06-09-2011, 6:43 PM
why did you drive them, doctors =midwife make house call
conlag. on the new baby or babies

Ken Fitzgerald
06-09-2011, 6:51 PM
Driving them somewhere to have the child delivered beats delivering the child in my book!

Congrats! You just helped them experience one of the most precious things in the world.....and it beats measuring, sanding, routing etc.

curtis rosche
06-09-2011, 8:51 PM
ray, i drove them because they are amish and the child birth center was about 12 miles away, way to far to be a quick horse ride. and there arent house calls are exspencive.

anyone else have any good "not in the job description stories"?

Mike Henderson
06-09-2011, 8:59 PM
Good story. Glad you could help them.

Question about the shop - what do they use to power the tools. I've seen diesel engines driving a hydraulic system, with hydraulic motors on all the power tools. I've also seen a shaft driven by a diesel engine with belts. And finally, a diesel engine with flexible shaft connections to the tools. What does that shop use?

And do they use a different drive for the large tools than for things like a ROS?

Mike

Steve Schlumpf
06-09-2011, 9:01 PM
Curtis - Good on you! I am sure the family appreciated your assistance and whether you thought about it or not - you are now part of the family history! Pretty cool when you think about it!

ray hampton
06-09-2011, 9:05 PM
do the amish permit you to take pictures of the shop ?

curtis rosche
06-09-2011, 11:23 PM
i can take pictures of the shop, but they find it unnessesary to take pictures of them, and disrespectful cause all people do is stare at the pictures of them.

we have a 110hp cummins turbo desiel out back and it runs two hydraulic pumps and two huge air compressors. the feeders for the table saw and shaper, the chopsaw, and the multidrill run on air. everything else is hydraulics. we dont have a radial arm saw, but we do have a horizontal panelsaw. it runs on hydraulics and the hoses to it are flexible, just like the wire that powers the motor on your saw.

i will take some pictures maybe tommorow or next week. would that thread go in the off topic section?

Ken Fitzgerald
06-09-2011, 11:29 PM
Curtis.....put it in the Offtopic or Workshop Forum. I think a lot of folks would be interested in seeing how they power their tools.

Belinda Barfield
06-10-2011, 8:36 AM
Full circle Curtis. After so much death recently, a new life. Congrats to the new parents, and you should be an honorary uncle or something.