PDA

View Full Version : 24" Powermatic Bandsaw

Sam Layton
06-09-2011, 5:56 PM
I am in the market for a 24" bandsaw. I am interested in the 2415-3 Powermatic. However, I have never seen one except for photo's. Does anyone have any experience with this saw?
Can you tell me the pro's and con's of the Powermatic?

Thank you, Sam

David Kumm
06-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Sam, Looks like we don't have much experience with the saw. I'm a cast iron guy but have had steel saws in the past. The PM looks heavy. Weight implies strength of frame and cast iron wheels which is good. Two speed motor may be good for you, I prefer three phase with vfd if I want variable speed. I would find out where the saw is made. If Taiwan, what kind of quality control supervision does PM demand. Construction of neck allows for tensioning which I suspect is plenty strong. I don't know the price you can get it for. At $4500 there are lots of choices, including used. Bandsaws are all about quality of components as there isn't much in way of new technology. Check on motor quality as well and the bearing quality and steel used for the spindles. If you can get a knowledgeable answer. I find that repair and tech guys are better than sales guys if you can find one. I like a 24 from a size perpective. Having said that I have a 36" oliver, a 30" oliver, and a 20" snowflake. The 30" oliver has a footprint similar to the 24 steel saws. I also prefer crowned to flat tires but most steel saws are flat. Check on that but not a deal breaker either way. Sorry for lack of specific PM details, but I like the 24" size. Agazzani, MM(centauro) make great 24's as well. check the deals and don't ignore used. Dave

Stephen Cherry
06-10-2011, 5:28 PM
No experience with the powermatic saw. Since you'r in Southern California, I would at least consider the Agazzani from Eagle tools. I've got the 24", and it's a great machine.

Steven Satur
06-10-2011, 6:44 PM
I will second that. If you are set for a 24", go with the Agazzani or get a 20" older Delta/Crescent. Means you are in S. Calf. keep a eye out for a 20" Davis & Wells. I got one last year and this is the best bandsaw for the size out there.

Steve

Sam Layton
06-10-2011, 7:25 PM
Thanks everyone for your response.

David, I just got back from looking at the Powermatic. It is made in Taiwan, that makes me a little nervous. The saw I looked at is 4 years old, and he is asking $1500.00. I would not pay $4500.00 for the saw new. If I was going to get new, I would get the MM, or Agazzani. But I can not afford new. The saw looked good but needed a few things. Like you said, is the quality there? I am also interested in the old cast iron saws. However, I do not know anything about them. I like the 24" size. I want to be able to tension a 3/4 carbide blade for resew. I have a MM S45, 18" saw. However it will not tension a 3/4" blade, at least with ease. The 30" Oliver sounds good.

Stephen, I have to buy used. I did get my MM S45 from Eagle tools. I also found a used 24" Agazzani, but it is well used.

Steven, I have also been on the lookout for a Davis and Wells. Will your Davis and Wells tension a 3/4" carbide blade OK?

Thanks again everyone for your help, Sam

Steven Satur
06-10-2011, 8:27 PM
Dear Sam: Absolutely it will tension a 3/4 with no problem. This is a heavy saw. Also has some of the best guides out there. A lot of luthier's use this saw for cutting veneer. Being on the east coast I was luckey to find one, however, if you see one get it. You can still get parts for them if you ever need them.

Steve

Mike Gottlieb
06-10-2011, 8:53 PM
+1 for the Aggazani @ Eagle.

Stephen Cherry
06-10-2011, 9:11 PM
Thanks everyone for your response.

Stephen, I have to buy used. I did get my MM S45 from Eagle tools. I also found a used 24" Agazzani, but it is well used.

I only buy used also. I'm on the east coast, and got a agg. 24, with a bunch of blades including a couple of carbide resaw blades, for 2200 dollars. Not cheap, but it was a lightly used saw, and these saws do not pop up very often.

For me, used band saws make a lot of sense, just to get the blade collection that would likely be thrown in. Also the agazzani will tension the wide blades with absolutely no problem.

David Clopton
06-11-2011, 12:32 AM
Sam, I've got a PowerMatic 24 I bought about eight years ago. It's been a great saw. I had initial problems getting blades to tension until I discovered it needs blades one inch shorter than the manual says. The guides work great and I've used it to resaw up to 12". The darned thing is heavy, about 1,000 pounds. I did replace the fence with a Laguna resaw fence because I wanted the resaw accuracy.

I haven't seen the other big saws so can't provide a comparison. I would pay $1500 any day.

Jim Matthews
06-11-2011, 1:37 PM
This just in off the Craigslist wire service:

Scroll down to the bottom (http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tls/2432228479.html)

Sam Layton
06-11-2011, 7:50 PM
Thanks again everyone for your response.

Dave, I am glad you have had good luck with the Powermatic. The one I looked at was made in 2007, would that be the same saw you have? Jim, thanks for the link. Stephen, I also look at a 24" Aggazine yesterday. It was well used, but I kind of liked it. However, it was in storage and hard to see.

Thanks everyone, Sam

David Kumm
06-12-2011, 8:50 PM
Sam, the PM is a pretty good saw at $1500. With used bandsaws you want to make sure there is no wear on the spindles. Everything else is pretty easy to deal with. Not much technology there. My oliver 217 is from 1936 so age doesn't hurt. If you can see it run under power and is smooth and vibration free it won't matter where it is made. If you want to see lots of old saws go to vintagemachinery.org and look at photos. Dave

ron holmberg
01-05-2013, 1:41 PM
Sam, I've got a PowerMatic 24 I bought about eight years ago. It's been a great saw. I had initial problems getting blades to tension until I discovered it needs blades one inch shorter than the manual says. The guides work great and I've used it to resaw up to 12". The darned thing is heavy, about 1,000 pounds. I did replace the fence with a Laguna resaw fence because I wanted the resaw accuracy.

I haven't seen the other big saws so can't provide a comparison. I would pay $1500 any day.

Hi David, im new to the group..i signed up because of your reply to this thread. (im glad i finally signed up anyway)
Can you tell me what was tyhe symptoms of your saw was, not being able to tension properly until you got a blade 1" shorter
I bought my saw used, as in i bought it from the original purchaser that never even put power to the saw, so it was absolutly brand new. It sat in his storage for quite some time with tension on the blade and tires....The saw had pretty bad vibration..after alot of troubleshooting it was decided that the tires were "indented" so i had them replaced. Now it runs better but still not the way i think it should be. I have a resaw king carbide blade on it, 1 1/4" and i tension acording to the gauge on the back. it seems tight enough....im afraid to break this $400 blade by really wrenching it on. The blade tracks, and while looking at it straight on, it looks fine but if you look from the side you see the blade moving front to back a fair bit. (im not overly sensitive or anal) i see other saws seem to run sooo smooothe! just not mine. I even replaced the poly v belt. wheels are balanced... Im just wondering if you have had any of these symptoms with yours. You are the only person i "know" of that has one of these saws. I love it, i just want to get it right. With the guides it will resaw fine.....THANK YOU for taking the time to read this! I appreciate it.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-05-2013, 2:50 PM
Hi Ron, welcome to the Creek! Usually you will get much better response to a question like this by starting a new thread, rather than responding to an old one.

Jim O'Dell
01-05-2013, 3:16 PM
You might send David a private message also with your request. He might not pull open an old thread knowing he has already contributed his info. Good luck and welcome to the Creek!! Jim.

Rick Fisher
01-05-2013, 5:05 PM
I would look at the new Felder 24" saw .. made in Austria and priced well..

http://www.felderusa.com/us-us/products/bandsaws/bandsaw-fb-600.html

David Kumm
01-05-2013, 5:17 PM
Ron, you won't hurt the blade by cranking up the tension and most of those indicators are not accurate anyway. I'd increase tension 1/2 turn at a time and see if that helped at all. If not, be aware that Laguna had problems with some RKs in the past with bad welds and inconsistent sharpening. If your blade came with the saw it might have those problems. Dave