PDA

View Full Version : Can you trick the door to think it's closed on a Epilog Legend EXT?

Shawn Handley
06-09-2011, 5:51 PM
Just as the title says, can you trick the door to make the machine think it's closed on a Epilog Legend EXT? I need to cut some long pieces with the door open but can't fit them in width-wise.

It appears to be magnets but some confirmation would be nice :)

Thanks!

Frank Corker
06-09-2011, 6:00 PM
Shawn not too sure on the EXT but on the Helix, on the opening door there are two magnets embeded in the lid, they make contact to two points on the channel the lid sits on. By placing magnets at those points it will disable the safety. Be extra careful, safety mechanisms are placed there to prevent the machine from being used with the lid open. There are reasons for it!

Shawn Handley
06-09-2011, 6:02 PM
Thanks! I appreciate the warning too. I wouldn't normally do it, especially if I wasn't going to be right there holding on to the piece while it does its thing. Also, masks on! :)

Larry Bratton
06-09-2011, 6:03 PM
I'm not sure what your wanting to do, but if there is a way , I doubt it is a recommended practice. If I have a piece too long to go on the machine table width, and my cut doesn't exceed the table height of 24", I remove the front and make the cut. I normally put something as support under the work piece to hold it level.

Shawn Handley
06-09-2011, 6:04 PM
*GASP* You can remove the front??? :D

Shawn Handley
06-09-2011, 6:07 PM
Yep... sure can!!! Thanks!!!

Larry Bratton
06-09-2011, 6:13 PM
*GASP* You can remove the front??? :D

I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence, lots of people don't realize that it comes off pretty easy and will solve a problem like this. I sometimes wish for a pass through feature like some machines have.

Shawn Handley
06-09-2011, 6:14 PM
Not at all! I am one of those who didn't realize it did that. Thank you!

Bill Cunningham
06-09-2011, 10:09 PM
I cut a hole and installed a door on the left side of my TT.. This allows me to work on paddles,bats, and some longer pieces. The open door can be partly closed of with magnetic sheeting to keep the airflow coming through the front to cool the tube.. Unlike other epilog machines, the TT 'must' have a stream of air flowing through the front, to the exhaust at the back, to cool the tube..

Bruce Clumpner
06-10-2011, 3:30 AM
The only thing i'd worry about with the lid open is working with reflective material, hate to engrave someone's eye!

Zvi Grinberg
06-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Just as the title says, can you trick the door to make the machine think it's closed on a Epilog Legend EXT?
Thanks!

I can tell you, but then I will not have to kill you (DIY).